Not-for-Credit Instructor (Writing Center)
Not-for-Credit Instructor (Writing Center)
Mt. San Antonio College
Job Category: Short Term/Temporary
Time (Percent Time):
Current Work Schedule (days, hours):
Salary Range: $45 PER HOUR - 16 hours per week
Salary: Level III
Health & Welfare: N/A
Department: The Writing Center
Open Date: 09/20/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
THIS IS A TEMPORARY, HOURLY AS NEEDED POSITION WITHOUT PERMANENT STATUS.
Tentative Start Date: 10/1/17
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
• Works with Director and Assistant Director of the Writing Center as well as faculty across the curriculum to address student and faculty writing support needs, particularly in the context of the development and delivery of Directed Learning Activities
• Collaborates with administrators, head of departments, instructors, tutorial staff, and students to maximize the Writing Center’s contribution to student success
• Collaborates with the Director and other Writing Center staff to develop instructional support materials such as handouts, Directed Learning Activities (DLAs), and workshops for students
• Presents non-credit workshops in the Writing Center on issues of grammar, rhetoric, documentation, and academic research
• Presents Writing Center orientations to students, faculty, and programs
• Makes presentations to faculty, via department meetings, division meetings, and other venues to introduce them to the concept and usage of DLAs
• Collaborates with faculty across the curriculum in the design and implementation of DLAs that address the particular writing conventions and expectations in various disciplines of the college
• Collaborates with the Director and other Writing Center staff to develop and present professional development workshops for faculty
• Trains and coordinates peer tutors in the delivery of Directed Learning Activities
• Assists Director and Writing Center staff with SLOs for Directed Learning Activities
• Works with faculty across the curriculum in training tutors to respond to writing across curriculum needs
• Tracks DLA usage and attendance, analyzes data, and prepares reports for the director.
• Works closely with the research department on the assessment of DLAs in terms of their impact on student retention, success, and completion
• Trains instructors on methods to incorporate computerized classroom and software into curriculum
• Fields student and faculty questions regarding services, policies, and procedures
• Registers students for Writing Center hours and troubleshoots record-keeping
• Evaluates technology for lab use
Skills and Abilities:
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
A. One of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
1. Bachelor’s degree in any social science, humanities, mathematics, or natural science discipline or in liberal studies, as appropriate for course; OR
2. Equivalency: Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related business majors (accounting, marketing, management, international business, and finance), computer sciences, or education AND at least two years of professional experience related to area of assignment; OR
California Designated Subjects Adult Education Teaching Credential authorizing instruction in basic skills, literacy, reading, mathematics, K-12, or an Education Certificate; OR
California Teaching Credential authorizing instruction in the area appropriate for the course AND at least two years of professional experience related to area of assignment; OR
3. California Community College credential authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline, AND
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students; AND
C. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
1. a. Master’s degree in Humanities or Social Sciences (including, but not limited to English, Communications, or Composition); TESL, TESOL, Applied Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis or Education with a TESL emphasis; OR
b. Possession of a California credential authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline at the community college level
2. Experience teaching in a college-level academic English or other writing intensive program
3. Experience in developing instructional support materials, especially DLAs
4. Commitment to working with students in developmental writing classes
5. Experience tutoring in a Writing Center or Learning Assistance Center
6. Experience working with non-traditional students
7. Experience presenting workshops to students and faculty on rhetoric and grammar
8. Experience in the use of instructional technologies for writing
9. Experience working with computers and basic software (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ESL software and websites)
10. Experience supervising people from diverse backgrounds
11. Experience working with students with disabilities
License(s) & Other Requirements:
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Employees may periodically be required to operate a vehicle that necessitates possession of a valid California driver’s license. Such employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license. Official offers of employment are made by the Mt. San Antonio College Office of Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been fingerprinted and clearance for employment is authorized by the Office of Human Resources. Costs for fingerprinting services shall be borne by the candidate.
Instructions re: Confidential Letter of Recommendation:
Conditions of Employment:
Typing Certificate Requirements:
Apply between 9/20/17 and 10/16/17. Applicants must submit all of the following materials online to be considered for this position:
• A Mt. San Antonio College online application (http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu)
• A cover letter indicating how qualifications and required experience are met and addressing the applicant’s philosophy of tutoring NNES students and training peer tutors to work with NNES students
• A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position
• A minimum of two letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents)
• List of three references
• College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree to meet required educational qualifications (unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts)
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
For more details about the responsibilities of this position, direct inquiries to:
Dr. David Charbonneau, Writing Center Director
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities and other job-related criteria as listed in the job posting. Interviews may include a writing sample, board presentation, and/or performance test.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The required letters of recommendation are not required to be confidential but if your reference prefers to send a confidential letter, please follow these instructions and notify your reference directly. To obtain a confidential letter of recommendation, you must enter the reference’s name and email address in the fields provided under the “Confidential References” section of the application.
NOTICE: In order for your reference to receive an email with a link to attach a confidential reference letter, you must complete your application and reach the status of “Under Review by HR”. It is recommended that you complete your application and reach this status as soon as possible well in advance of the deadline to provide your reference ample time to attach the letter.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to assure that all required and any optional documents are attached by no later than 4:00 PM PST of the closing date shown on the job posting.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Conflict of Interest
Cancel RTF Policy:
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
To apply, visit: https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/