Assistant or Associate Professor - Sturm College of Law
Currently celebrating its 125th anniversary year, the University of Denver Sturm College of Law (Denver Law - www.law.du.edu) is a leader in experiential and interdisciplinary legal most dynamic, iconic, and livable cities. It is a recognized innovator in legal pedagogy, and the site of multiple nationally recognized programs and centers.
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law seeks applications from entry-level and junior-lateral candidates at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor of the Practice of Law to contribute to its nationally-ranked experiential learning programs, with positions to begin in August 2018. We seek candidates with J.D. degrees (or their equivalent), exceptional academic records, relevant professional experience, and the capacity to make outstanding contributions in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service. We anticipate needs in one or more of the following programs: (1) Lawyering Process, the University of Denver's Top 10 nationally-ranked legal writing program; (2) Externships, in which Denver Law has emerged as a national leader; and (3) Academic Achievement.
Denver Law anticipates hiring for a full-time, Lawyering Process 9 month contract and or; Externship position 12 month contract. Lawyering Process is a required two-semester first-year course that instructs students in legal research, legal writing, and legal professionalism. The initial term may begin as soon as the spring 2018 semester on a visiting appointment, or as long as a renewable seven-year contract if hired at the Professor of the Practice rank.
- Possess the knowledge and ability to engage effectively with diverse communities. Preference will be given to candidates with more law practice and teaching experience.
In addition, the following information sets for the minimum qualifications for various academic ranks:
- Assistant Professor of the Practice of Law: J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited institution and a minimum of one year of law practice experience and/or law teaching experience.
- Associate Professor of the Practice of Law: J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited institution; minimum of five years of any combination of law school teaching experience and law practice experience.
- Professor of the Practice of Law: J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited institution; minimum of seven years of any combination of law school teaching experience and law practice experience.
- Two years of legal practice experience.
- Preference is given to candidates with more law practice and teaching experience.
Work schedule depends on teaching load and scheduling.
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Professor Alan Chen, Chair, Faculty Appointments Committee at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- CV (including at least three references)
- Cover letter
- Teaching Statement
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 5 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.