Program Assistant - MFA in Creative Writing
Founded in 1869, Chatham University is a fully coed institution with an enrollment of over 2,200 students and over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability; health & lab sciences; business & communication; and the arts & humanities. Chatham is the alma mater of environmental icon Rachel Carson (Class of '29), and is recognized as a leader in the field of sustainability, having been selected as one of the Top 50 Green Colleges by The Princeton Review; ranked in the top five nationally for sustainability achievements in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS); and mentioned in a 2012 Forbes article as one of the places "contributing to Pittsburgh's transformation into a destination for green living."
Building on these accomplishments, Chatham opened in 2014 the world's first fully sustainable campus in higher education, Eden Hall Campus. Consistently ranked as a best college by U.S. News & World Report in the Regional Universities North category, Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the College for Continuing & Professional Studies.
To help support the work of the University we have an immediate opening for a Program Assistant in our MFA Creative Writing Program. The Program Assistant reports to the Program Director for Creative Writing.
- Minimum of Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree preferred, MFA in Creative Writing preferred
- Three years of related experience providing administrative support
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent written, organizational and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and work well with faculty and students
Coordinates and facilitates the operations and procedures within the program as follows:
- Maintaining faculty, student and alumni files with the highest level of confidentiality
- Managing program communication: answering phone, collecting and distributing mail, answering email inquiries and keeping up-to-date distribution lists
- Preparing program correspondence and documentation (schedules, student information, orientation materials, registration information, adjunct requests, thesis reader contracts, managing Director’s calendar, etc.)
- Communicating with faculty members, administrative staff and students as well as external contacts to facilitate program operations and procedures
- Monitoring program budgets including reimbursements and honoraria, and keeping track of fiscal year expenditures
- Ordering office supplies and preparing purchase orders as necessary
- Coordinating reservations for MFA program events including catering and room reservations as well as necessary travel arrangements for visiting scholars/writers
- Acting as liaison between MFA program and Information Technology to manage updates to the program’s website content
- Creating and administering electronic surveys developed by MFA faculty, tracking results, and compiling data requested by Program Director
- Assisting in the preparation of program reports
- Maintaining/updating the program’s student manuals and websites as directed
- Coordinating distributing the program’s newsletters
·Participate in required faculty, program, and university meetings
- Keep program director informed on the progress of all assignments
- Perform other duties as assigned by the program director
Deadline for applications is September 30, 2017.
Chatham University offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified personnel, and a generous retirement plan.
Interested candidates should visit www.chatham.edu/careers and follow the instructions to complete the application process. To ensure full consideration, please submit a cover letter addressing the qualifications of the position, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer