Director of Marketing and Communications - School of Business
George Mason University
Director of Marketing and Communications – School of Business
The George Mason University School of Business invites applications for the position of Director of Marketing and Communications. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Director of Marketing and Communications plans, implements, and directs the Brand, Marketing, and Communications strategy for the School of Business. This position will advise the Dean and work collaboratively with senior business school and University leaders to support the School's goals of improving its brand and reputation in its markets, building and strengthening relationships with its various constituencies and significantly enhancing its web and social media marketing efforts. The incumbent reports to the Dean of the School of Business and will supervise all members of the Marketing and Communications team. This is a full-time administrative faculty position with full benefits. Duties include:
- Provide strategic management—including an immediate, market- and data-based review—of the business school's brand, to build and enhance the brand, in connection with the school's mission, for maximum value and impact;
- Design and implement a new branding architecture on the basis of the above review, in concert with the Dean, faculty, and advisory boards;
- Ensure consistent messaging across publications, websites, promotional materials and events;
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to increase the visibility of the business school regionally, nationally and internationally resulting in: (1) a positive impact on the school's reputation across its stakeholder groups, as well as its position in relevant rankings; (2) increases in the number of qualified applications for the undergraduate, graduate and executive education programs; (3) continued positive impact on internship, job, and related opportunities for business school graduates; and (4) increased interest in collaborating with, sponsoring activities of, and donating to the school on the part of businesses, alumni and other stakeholders;
- Create highly effective communications campaigns targeting local, regional, and national media outlets that highlight the accomplishments of the business school's faculty, students, and the school in general, including those done in collaboration with other schools and partner entities;
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the business school's social media marketing strategy to generate inbound leads, gain followers, and create a positive image for the school;
- Oversee the overall content, messaging, and continual refreshing of the business school's website and its components to ensure search engine optimization and high performance on other relevant metrics;
- Develop and implement goals, objectives, processes, and budgets for the marketing and communications functions within the business school;
- Lead the marketing and communications team to maximize motivation, skill development, and effectiveness; and
- Serve as the central source for the university, Board of Visitors, alumni, students, faculty, staff and the business community at large to obtain authoritative and reliable information about the business school.
- Master's degree plus relevant professional experience (a minimum of five years is preferred); or an undergraduate degree in marketing, communications, English, or a related field, plus relevant director level professional experience (a minimum of eight years is preferred);
- Significant experience developing and implementing strategic marketing campaigns and measuring the results of such campaigns;
- Experience in leading successful brand research and brand development campaigns based on substantive, data-based analysis across stakeholder groups;
- Big-picture, strategic thinker;
- Experience simultaneously leading internal and external communications;
- Substantial expertise with regional and national media outlets;
- Experience developing and leading effective social media campaigns and web presence optimization;
- Strong collaboration, persuasion, and consensus-building skills;
- Committed to giving and receiving useful, constructive feedback and to constantly improving your own performance and that of the team;
- Able to influence independent professionals to participate in marketing/communication efforts;
- Superior writing, editing, presentation, and organizational skills are essential;
- Experience supervising other marketing and communications professionals to achieve positive results;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a deadline-sensitive environment; and
- Possess a fundamental market orientation rather than a bureaucratic, internal, rules-based one.
- Experience in higher education and/or fundraising are given strong preference; and
- Experience with Salesforce CRM platform.
The School of Business:
Dedicated to excellence in teaching and research, the School of Business educates future business leaders through world-class, innovative academic programs and strategic business partnerships. Ranked among the top 100 undergraduate business school programs and part-time M.B.A. programs by the U.S. News and World Report, the School of Business is accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International. Faculty are deeply engaged in the regional, national and international business communities; and their academic expertise combined with real-world experience provides a bridge in the classroom from academic theory to business practice.
About George Mason University:
George Mason University is the largest public research university in Virginia, with an enrollment of approximately 35,000 students studying in over 200 degree programs. Mason is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in a range of academic fields. It is classified as an R1 research institution by the Carnegie Classifications of Institutes of Higher Education. Mason stands at the doorstep of the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, with unmatched geographical access to a number of federal agencies and national laboratories. The northern Virginia business community includes a large number of Fortune 500 companies. In addition to its 677-acre main campus in Fairfax, Mason has campuses in Arlington and Prince William counties in Virginia, as well as an international campus in Songdo, Korea.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA253z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Candidates will be contacted directly should additional materials be required. Review of applications will begin on October 25, 2017, and continue until the position is filled.George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.