Assistant Director of Parking - Parking Department (A1700528)
Assistant Director of Parking
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Parking Department maintains approximately 15,000 parking spaces in five parking structures and over 140 surface parking facilities. The department is committed to excellence in customer service in meeting the varied parking needs of the faculty, staff, students and visitors of the University campus. Services provided by the department include permit sales, cash key sales, pay-by-phone short-term parking, conferences and special event parking.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities:
- Principally responsible for the oversight and management of all renovation and capital project construction within the Parking Department. Serves as liaison between the Parking Department and University Legal Counsel, Project Planning and Facility Management, Facilities & Services, the Office of Capital Programs, the Office of Business Affairs Purchasing, and various outside architects, engineering contractors, and subcontractors.
- Design and maintain drawings and specifications of all parking facilities which requires site surveying, site inventory, maintenance assessment, and modification planning. Prepare studies, drawings, estimates, construction documents, and contract documents for parking facility construction, maintenance, and renovation. This may include site engineering, lighting design, signage, and/or landscape design and will require field inspection work.
- Work with Real Estate Planning and Services to assess and plan property and real estate related projects. Develop long range real estate planning for parking related capital development.
- Prepare budgets that reflect informed projections on costs related to construction and renovation of parking facilities.
- Develop assessments of reimbursement costs associated with the removal of parking facilities by other campus departments and negotiates disputed reimbursement costs when needed.
- Serve as a representative of the Parking Department at various meetings throughout the campus as assigned or requested by the Director of Parking.
- Responsible for making recommendations to the Director regarding revision of policy, procedures, and regulations as it relates to departmental activities.
- Consult with, advise, and coordinate supervisory personnel in and with outside vendors on matters pertaining to lighting, drainage, and landscape maintenance and improvements. In addition, serve as liaison with departments' campus wide in finding solutions to problems concerning lot placement, maintenance, construction and repair.
- Oversee the production of the general parking map and related way-finding graphics associated with parking facilities.
- Responsible for maintaining historical data related to all parking matters including, principles of campus development and the current objectives of the campus and parking master plans.
- Conduct research into parking lot construction and equipment technology. Evaluate new construction and facility operation methods and introduces appropriate new methods and sustainable materials whenever possible to advance and improve facilities.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, or other related field. Master's degree preferred. 7 years of progressive experience in a similarly complex organization or related field experience. Experience in financial/budgetary matters. Experience in parking or transportation related master planning. Requires a generalists' knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, HVAC, etc. Working knowledge of building systems, facility maintenance, and construction trades. Working knowledge of site planning, analysis, and design. Working knowledge in areas of drainage, site lighting, site construction and project management. Must possess the ability to perform studies and prepare presentation material to be given in person or by others in the department. Must also possess the ability to produce working drawings and draft specifications for parking related projects, as well as have a working knowledge of pertinent University purchasing and bidding procedures as well as State and Federal laws that apply to the department. Demonstrative problem solving skills and the ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written. Demonstrative ability to effectively self-manage project deadlines with high quality working within established guidelines and with cognizance of budget implications.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time academic professional position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: October 13, 2017
Application Procedures: All candidates must complete an online application at http://jobs.illinois.edu prior to the application deadline for full consideration. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of application, resume, and contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) for three current professional references. Official transcripts will be required for all finalists. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
Staff Development and Human Resources
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Parking Department
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director of Parking - Parking Department (A1700528)
Open Date: 08/28/2017
Close Date: 10/13/2017
Organization Name: Parking Department