Senior Research Programmer - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1700578)
Senior Research Programmer
Coordinated Science Laboratory
College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Coordinated Science Laboratory (CSL) at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for a Senior Research Scientist in the Center for Exascale Simulation of Plasma-Coupled Combustion (XPACC) that is part of the Parallel Computing Institute (PCI). The PCI is a CSL institute committed to advancing parallel computing technologies. XPACC is working to develop the computer science tools to bring scientific prediction codes to exascale computers, which are the next generation of large parallel computers whose power demands are imposing hardware changes that dictate entirely new approaches to data structures, algorithms and scientific computing in general. For more information, please visit our website at http://publish.illinois.edu/exascale-plasma/.
Senior Research Programmer Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance to support development and test efforts of software being produced.
- Design software and develop test plans for software by producing reports, research, and other materials that will aid in the software development efforts.
- Integrate work with physical scientists to support simulation objectives.
- Work with project faculty, postdoctoral research associates, and students in identification of requirements for developed software.
- Mentor postdoctoral research associates in the skills required for research programming.
- Monitor work produced by postdoctoral research associates to ensure deadlines are met.
- Report results to research sponsors, in the form of written documentation and presentation.
- Assume additional appropriate related research duties to further the mission of the laboratory.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 year experience with software development
- Experience with software development methodologies and tools, such as CMake, git, Overkit, CERE, etc.
- Technical expert with at least one high-level programming language and complex code.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people, both internal and external to a project, to accomplish the project goals.
- Ability to develop sophisticated applications.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 5 years' experience with software development
- Demonstrate an understanding of software development best practices
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently or under only general direction.
The Senior Research Programmer position is a full-time benefits-eligible Academic Professional positions appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by October 17, 2017 as a single PDF file. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Amy Gilbert, email@example.com, 217-244-1802.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Senior Research Programmer - Coordinated Science Laboratory (A1700578)
Open Date: 09/19/2017
Close Date: 10/17/2017
Organization Name: Coordinated Science Lab