Senior Postal Clerk (Temporary)
Posting Date September 19, 2017
Position Title Senior Postal Clerk (Temporary)
Vacancy # N/A
Department Mail Services
Division University Facilities
- Performs the work involved in the receipt, date-stamping, and inter-office distribution of incoming letters and packages; ensures that proper signatures are obtained where necessary.
- Unloads incoming shipments from all trucks and delivers the U. S. Mail/UPS and common carrier packages to departments on campus.
- Makes regular and special runs for the inter-office collection of outgoing mail; may drive, load, and/or unload the mail truck as necessary.
- Scans tracking numbers on hand-held device at time of delivery. Creates labels for packages that do not have a tracking number and uses hand-held device for signatures after scanning the tracking number at the time of delivery to the department.
- Prepares outgoing mail for delivery to post office; may weigh, stamp, and deliver outgoing mail directly to the U.S. Post Office.
- Closely follows schedules of collection and delivery times and makes necessary adjustments for the expedition of emergency and peak mail loads.
- In the absence of the Supervisor, may assign work and instruct mail clerks, truck drivers, and/or student employees assigned to the Postal Services Unit.
- Moves packages and items from Postal Services area to storage area as needed. Sorts and places materials or items in warehouse in designated places. For items arriving that require expeditious or immediate attention, contacts recipient or other staff member if area where items are to be stored is unknown.
- Provides delivery of most packages to central distribution points in the various academic and administrative buildings.
- Marks packages with identifying information using appropriate methods. Records receiving and shipping information as required for inventory or other purposes.
- Must be able to operate efficiently in a positive team environment and be able to communicate clearly and effectively with supervisor.
- Assists customers on the telephone and at the service counter; responds courteously to mailing/shipping- related questions.
- Acting as an agent for the University, the incumbent signs for the receipt of incoming Registered, Certified, Insured and Express mail items.
- Adheres to safe lifting techniques and attends yearly safe lifting, drivers' awareness and other safety-related classes and maintains qualifications, keeping up with standards.
- May prepare simple statistical, accounting, and other reports of mail unit programs and activities.
- Maintains essential records and files.
- May be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the Mail Services.
- Remains informed on new postal regulations; attends training sessions and gathers information to ensure proper discounts are given.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Senior Postal Clerk requires one (1) year of experience preferred in the operation of a large mailing section with the responsibility for the collecting, sorting, and distributing of mail and parcels. Position requires incumbent to possess a valid driver's license. Knowledge of the processes involved in the collecting, sorting, distributing, recording, and stamping of a large volume of incoming and outgoing letters and packages, and the utilization of electronic remote meter machines, Remote Accounting Systems, electronic scales, perforating machine, folding and inserting machines, labeling machines and electronic presorting machines. Knowledge of United States Postal regulations pertaining to special delivery, registered, insured, special handling, and other specialized categories of mail. Knowledge of the operation, adjustment, repair, and maintenance of some of the following office appliances; Inserting and Sealing machines, Electronic Remote Meter machines, Electronic Scales, Remote Accounting System, Perforating Machine, folding and inserting machines, labeling machines and electronic presorting machines.
Ability to develop realistic delivery and pickup schedules, and take the measures required to handle the emergency, peak, seasonal and/or other unusual leads so that the regular processing of the mail is not delayed.
This position will be 30 hours per week at a rate of $15.27 per hour; shift hours will be Monday-Friday 11am to 5pm.
Anticipated Start Date ASAP
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile with resume and cover letter as one (1) attachment and submit to:
Apply By Open Until Filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION