Requisition # 2017-7976
Department Dean of the Graduate School
Category Executive - Dean, Provost, Vice President
Date Posted 4 weeks ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University is seeking a Dean of the Graduate School for full-time appointment, starting on or before February 1, 2018. Princeton University offers advanced degrees spanning the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and engineering. Doctoral education available in all disciplines emphasizes original and independent scholarship, while master's degree programs in architecture, engineering, finance, public affairs and public policy prepare candidates for careers in public life and professional practice. The School includes more than 2,400 PhD students and 300 Master's students who represent diverse international backgrounds.
The Dean of the Graduate School:
- Provides leadership in program curricular development, serves as an advocate for graduate education within the University community and represents Princeton University to the broader community of graduate education.
- Reports to the provost and, with the other senior academic deans, is a member of the Academic Planning Group which has responsibility for initiating, approving and recommending to the president and the Board of Trustees major university-wide academic initiatives.
- Works to strengthen relationships with alumni of the Graduate School and to promote a vibrant intellectual community engaging students and supportive of the scholarship and teaching mission of the University.
- Evaluates and reviews graduate academic programs and student life initiatives with the goal of ensuring that Princeton's graduate students complete their degrees in an environment supportive of their success.
- Collaborates with the Dean of the College on the new Presidential Scholars Program, an initiative to propel under-represented minority students selected from area colleges and universities through an undergraduate pathways program, summer enrichment experiences, and a post-baccalaureate curriculum that will enhance their successful applications to PhD programs.
- Works with the other senior academic deans to devise creative approaches to diversifying student populations and ensuring under-represented minority students—and in some fields, women—participate fully and successfully in academic programs and campus life.
- Works with the Office of the Dean of the College to guide graduate students toward pedagogical training in the McGraw Center, which includes best practices for inclusive teaching.
Candidates should possess a distinguished record of scholarly accomplishments and effectiveness in supervising doctoral candidates. Qualifications for appointment to the tenured faculty in one of the disciplines within the institution are required. In addition, the successful candidate will have demonstrated effectiveness in leadership, strategic planning, management, and staff supervision, experience with student programs and a commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity. The successful candidate will also have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, CV or resume and list of references.Nominations and inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of candidates will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.