English Language Specialist
University of Colorado Denver
Office of International Affairs, English as a Second Language (ESL) Academy
English Language Specialist
Position #301787 - Requisition 11086
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of International Affairs has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) English Language Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The ESL Academy at the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) is seeking an experienced, flexible, and highly motivated TESOL professional to serve as a full-time ESL Specialist (academic instructor). The position will provide superior instruction to students in this intensive academic English program. Reporting to the Director of the ESL Academy, the ESL Specialist will demonstrate a high level of collaboration and flexibility, and a passion for international student success. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with other Specialists to deliver the highest level of rigorous, outcomes-based instruction. S/he will be team driven and will embody the values of the Office of International Affairs (OIA): Respect, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Transparency, and Innovation.
The ESL Academy was founded in January of 2012 and is an exciting, innovative intensive English program. It is currently home to 120 students from twelve countries and has an enrollment capacity of 150-175 students. Special features include English immersion, content based instruction, newly constructed educational space in the heart of downtown Denver, close coordination within the Office of International Affairs, and being part of the University of Colorado Denver, which facilitates a high quality pathway from the ESL Academy into university studies in both undergraduate and graduate degree programs at CU Denver. With 13 schools and colleges and more than 130 degree programs, the university offers a high-quality, real-world education in the heart of the energetic West to over 18,000 students.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach four classes per term, five terms a year.
- Participate in staff meetings / development workshops, student mentoring, orientation and student testing.
- Participate in all OIA meetings and events.
- Deliver and tailor instruction to a variety of language and cultural backgrounds, in all skill areas at all levels.
- Assess student progress according to curricular objectives.
- Make recommendations to develop the curriculum, textbooks and program.
- Update professional skills by attending local conferences and reading professional publications in the field of TESOL.
- Adhere to program policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other English Language Specialists and develop coordinated planning schedules per term.
- Serve as level leader for assigned section, scheduling permitting.
- Mentor new Specialists as according to the rotation schedule.
- Participate actively on the ESL Academy governance committee according to the rotation schedule.
- Lead and or participate in working groups to address issues as they arise pertaining to curriculum, assessment, new program development, technology, or others as they arise.
- Lead and or participate in at least one student activity per year and write a summary of the activity for annual reporting and marketing.
- Time permitting, lead and/or participate in OIA activities to expand the mission and vision of OIA
- Time permitting, supervise teaching assistants upon request and provide evaluation reports as required.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position starts at $47,476, and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- MA degree in TESOL or related field such as Applied Linguistics, Education with TESOL emphasis, or Second Language Acquisition (advanced degrees in English/Humanities/Social Sciences or other fields do not substitute for TESOL or related field)
- Three years of full-time teaching in an IEP (intensive English program) setting
- Experience teaching in classrooms with students of multiple nationalities
- Five or more years of full time teaching experience in an intensive English program setting.
- Experience in: curriculum construction, assessment, accent reduction or managing student activities.
- Experience coordinating placement and end-of-term proficiency testing.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience teaching and/or living abroad.
- Proven ability to teach a broad variety of ESL skill areas and proficiency levels.
- Competency using educational technology, including learning management systems, clickers, Engrade, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with students and instructors.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Marcel Bolintiam, email@example.com
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by October 20, 2017. Those who do not apply by October 20th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30053 - AVCASA-OIA Intl Education
Posting Date: Sep 19, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Marcel Bolintiam
Posting Contact Email: Marcel.Bolintiam@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00708559