University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
CU Innovations (Technology Transfer Office)
Position #739615 - Requisition 11153
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
CU Innovations has two openings for full-time University Staff (unclassified) Licensing Associate positions. One of the positions will focus on Biopharma.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
CU Innovations is working with researchers and clinicians to discover new treatment options, medical devices and technology to improve the lives and outcomes of patients. CU Innovations works directly with researchers at the University of Colorado, and staff at Children's Hospital Colorado to commercialize their innovations. It is our mission to enable commercialization through the best route for a given technology, and ensure that technologies can benefit patients.
The Licensing Associate manages a portfolio of pharmaceutical and medical device related intellectual property.
- The Licensing Associate's primary function is the management of a portfolio of university intellectual property in the life sciences disciplines. Portfolio management includes understanding and assessing the intellectual assets in a faculty member's lab, whether patentable or not, encouraging disclosure of new ideas, inventions and other intellectual assets to TTO; assessing new inventions for technical merit, patentability, and commercial feasibility; overseeing the filing and prosecution of patent applications where appropriate; identifying and communicating with potential licensees and marketing technologies to industry; and negotiating, drafting and enforcing option, license, inter-institutional and other agreements. Importantly, the Licensing Associate must have the confidence and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with very senior, high-level faculty and licensing staff at other institutions and in the business community.
- In addition, Licensing Associates organize educational programs for faculty, inventors, and entrepreneurs and serve as liaisons to the business community. They provide information and advice to investigators, students, and other campus staff on matters involving intellectual property policies, procedures and decisions; confer with campus administrative staff and investigators on intellectual property protection and licensing; coordinate procedures to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, laws, university and state policies, and all contractual obligations.
- The ability to use a variety of communications and computer database tools to track and convey issues and decisions about invention disclosures, patent applications, patent prosecution, patent issuance and maintenance, and all contractual agreements and financial arrangements related to a particular technology is a must. Licensing staff assist with the daily operations of the Campus and System Technology Transfer Offices.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree in biological or chemical sciences, law, business or a directly related field from an accredited institution
- 2 years of professional level experience in a related field
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
Preferred Qualifications for Licensing Associate position:
- Graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in biological or chemical sciences, law or business
- At least two years professional experience in the area of technology transfer or patents and/or licensing including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of business contracts.
Preferred Qualifications for Biopharma Licensing Associate position:
- Graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in biological or chemical sciences.
- Graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in law or business.
- At least two years professional experience in the area of technology transfer, patent prosecution, and/or licensing including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of business contracts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Nicole Anderson at Nicole.Anderson@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by October 1, 2017. Those who do not apply by October 1st may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 21705 - ADM-CHAN Anschutz Tech Transfe
Posting Date: Sep 19, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Nicole Anderson
Posting Contact Email: Nicole.Anderson@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00739615