Assistant Director of Strategic Communications
Functional Title Assistant Director of Strategic Communications
Position Type Staff
The University's seventeen teams compete as members of NCAA Division I and the Southern Conference.
The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications is responsible for assisting with day-to-day media relations department activities that include: press releases, general features, photography, statistics, press box/game day operations, publications, social media and webcasting.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position has specific team responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Athletic Director for Strategic Communications. This position is expected to assist in navigating the rapidly changing world of communications and will aggressively position the department to take advantage of opportunities through online resources, social media and other emerging mediums. The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications will be motivated to push UNCG Athletics Communications to be among the most innovative in intercollegiate athletics. This position will assist with Spartan All Access Webcasts, interact with local, regional and national media, write and edit articles for various publications, and maintain appropriate records.
The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications will disseminate information in a timely fashion to media outlets regionally and nationally. The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications must be in close contact with local print and electronic media outlets as well as the campus newspaper and radio station.
This position will provide hands on learning experience for all student interns as it pertains to webcasting, statistics, sports journalism and various office duties. The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications will also supervise non-student volunteers from the local community. These individuals will serve as statisticians and public address announcers.
The Assistant Director of Strategic Communications assists with on-site athletic communication services with an emphasis on all home contests. These services include statistics and keeping and reporting of results to media outlets.
Must work with considerable independence and significant creativity and initiative. Must be flexible to travel with assigned teams for competitions as required, including weekend and/or holidays.
- A bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communication, or equivalent subject required.
- A minimum of two years' experience working within Sports Information, Media Relations, Public Relations, or Electronic and Print Media.
- A combination of other experiences will be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise in written and oral communication skills, organization and promotional planning are essential.
- Computer skills in word processing and desktop-publishing (Adobe In-Design and Photoshop) are required.
- Familiarity with media and standards of media relations, must be proficient with in-game operations of Automated Scorebook and StatCrew. Knowledge of basic web (HTML).
- Statistical experience with baseball, women's basketball and volleyball preferred.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) References, in the References section of the electronic application. These References will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Reference/Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur as soon as an applicant successfully applies to this position.
Applicants are required to upload the following document:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of References
Applicants will have the option to upload the following documents:
- Reference Letters 1,2,3 (letters that applicant may have available at the time of applying)
List of references of at least three (3) professional references should include:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range Commensurate Upon Experience
Org #-Department Intercollegiate Athletics - 85001
Job Open Date 09/19/2017
For Best Consideration Date 09/27/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Unofficial Transcript(s)
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Writing Sample(s)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you acquired your Bachelor's Degree?
- * Do you have a minimum of two (2) years experience working within sports information, media relations, public relations or electronic and print media?
- * Do you possess computer skills in word processing and desktop-publishing (Adobe In-Design and Photoshop)?
- * Are you proficient with in-game operations of Automated Scorebook and StatCrew?
- * Are you knowledgeable of basic web (HTML)?
- * Do you have statistical experience with the following sports: baseball, women's basketball and volleyball?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu