Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Functional Title Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Position Type Staff
The Student Health Services (SHS) Counseling Center (CC) psychiatric nurse practitioner's primary role is to provide psychiatric care to the students of the university community. This entails providing psychiatric evaluations and medical assessments, prescribing medications and monitoring their use in a therapeutic setting. The person in this position must be up-to-date in new developments in psychotropics, side effects, and best practices. The SHS CC psychiatric nurse practitioner will provide psychiatric emergency intervention as needed. The SHS Counseling Center psychiatric nurse practitioner will facilitate the processing of both voluntary and involuntary hospitalizations. The SHS CC psychiatric nurse practitioner will consult and collaborate with the clinical staff of The Counseling Center, as well as the Medical Clinic staff to provide appropriate, collaborative care for students. The SHS CC psychiatric nurse practitioner will provide consultation and training on psychiatric issues to the clinical staff of both the Medical Clinic and the Counseling Center. The SHS CC psychiatric nurse practitioner will become familiar with and utilize referral sources within the University and external community. The SHS CC psychiatric nurse practitioner will maintain a collaborative relationship with an off-site, community-based collaborating psychiatrist and adhere to the licensing board's requirements regarding said collaboration. The individual in this position must be licensed to practice as a psychiatric nurse practitioner in the State of North Carolina and must have the appropriate DEA license.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner with a concentration in psychiatry and mental health.
- Unrestricted license to practice as a psychiatric nurse practitioner in the State of North Carolina.
- Unrestricted Drug Enforcement Administration license.
- Ability to maintain a collaborative relationship with an off-site, community-based collaborating psychiatrist.
- Familiarity and comfort with Electronic Health Records.
- Demonstrate a commitment to multicultural competency and working with individuals from underrepresented and/or underserved populations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience or interest in college health dealing with the psychological needs of young adults.
- At least two years of clinical experience providing psychiatric services to individuals with mental illness.
- A collaborative spirit of warmth, acceptance, respect, and trust towards colleagues and students.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range Commensurate with experience
Org #-Department Student Health Services - 44604
Job Open Date 09/19/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu