Scope of Job
To perform advanced interpreting work utilizing comprehensive or specialized skills with knowledge of interpreter ethics. To provide interpreting for students or employees with hearing impairments in academic or workplace situations.
Description of Duties
• Interprets (primarily voice to sign) for hearing impaired individuals in academic and designated work situations.
• Performs interpreting work in classrooms, labs, special events and other University related settings.
• Prepares for assignment by reviewing specific terminology and content related to assigned material.
• Coordinates interpretation services provided.
• Assesses whether communication is being understood.
• Assists with registration, orientation, tours, and presentations for students with disabilities.
• Prepares reports as required.
• Maintains calendar of events.
• Maintains student rosters, student records and disability library.
• Serves as resource for information related to deaf and hard of hearing students.
• Performs related duties as required.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Texas Board of Evaluators for Interpreters (BEI) Basic or Level 1 (or above).
One (1) year experience as a sign language interpreter.
Experience as a sign language interpreter at a post-secondary level.
Telecommunication Device for the Deaf, PC, calculator, other standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Classroom or office conditions. Working conditions may be determined by the situation requiring interpreting and may vary from the usual classroom or office environment. Some evening and /or weekend work may be required
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Tact, diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality required in all matters. Knowledge and understanding of Deaf Culture and American Sign Language. Ability to prioritize workload.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.