Community Relations Specialist
Community Relations Specialist (EAII)
Department: University Scheduling and Parking Administration
The community relations specialist is responsible for developing and implementing programs including social and community awareness incentives related to University Scheduling and Parking Services. The community relations specialists will work with various departments to createprograms that promote the department's image in a positive and community-oriented way. This position will set up internal events, such as fairs, presentations, and other community events to incorporate University Scheduling and Parking Services into the USD community. Working in close partnership with the director, this position will support the Office of the Director of University Scheduling and Parking Administration. The duties are complex and demand a high level of responsibility and responsiveness to ensure operations are effective. The community relations specialist will assist in creating a centralized process for all external requests to University Scheduling and will work proactively with the director to prevent potential issues with scheduling in a wide spectrum of venues. This position will evaluate requests by external groups for use of space at the University of San Diego to ensure the promotion of the university's mission. This position will coordinate the recruitment process for University Scheduling and Parking Services in conjunction with the director and the division's budget and administrative manager. The community relations specialist acts as the office manager in daily operations and serves as departmental resource fielding questions related to all aspects of departmental operations, projects, and campus services. Supervision received: this position functions under the general guidance and direction of the director of University Scheduling and Parking Administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Community Relations and Communications
• On behalf of University Scheduling and Parking Services, prepare and review all correspondence to the campus community and external groups.
• Coordinate with other departments to ensure accurate and consistent parking and scheduling information is being conveyed at all times.
• Seek out opportunities to improve relations and communication with various people and organizations, both on and off campus.
• Plan and execute for internal fairs such as Alcala Bazaar, Employee Health Fair, etc…
• Support special projects as assigned by the director and the assistant director of Parking Services.
• Review and follow-up on departmental assignments in order to meet timelines and department objectives.
• Demonstrate excellence in customer service to both internal and external audiences; display a high level of effective communication, both in writing and public speaking.
• Serve as a backup to the application specialist for maintenance and updates to the University Scheduling and Parking Services websites; oversee web-based form for all external clients including routing, troubleshooting, and updating the form.
• Provide support to the Electronic Message board (Marquee@sandiego.edu) in coordination with the application specialist. Point of contact for the vendor on troubleshooting and service contract.
• Maintain the department's business continuity plan and documentation of business continuity and disaster recovery procedures. Act as a coordinator for continuity efforts after a disruption event.
Support to the Director
• Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
• Review and process requests from external groups for on-campus reservations.
• Serve as liaison to internal and external groups in absence of the director, application specialist, and all event schedulers.
• Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with each space and ability to explain them clearly and concisely to external clients and service providers.
• Lead scheduler in assigning meetings and events in the database outside of individual event schedulers' purview.
• Assist the director in setting priorities among competing interests and arbitrate conflicting requests for space use.
• Attend committee meetings as assigned.
• Coordinate events calendar for the director.
• Make travel/conference arrangements.
Budget and Office Management
• Office reception, as needed.
• Assist director in developing budget requests for the upcoming fiscal year. Prepare documentation for submission to the division's budget and administrative manager during each phase of the annual budget process (equipment, personnel, non-personnel requests, etc.).
• Using Noetix, EMS, and NuPark Systems, reconcile projects, research errors with the appropriate area, and generate reports for the director and assistant director of Parking Services as requested.
• Prepare invoices and/or forms to deposit event payments into appropriate revenue budget accounts.
• Review, enter and reconcile monthly revenue reports via Noetix system (journal entry expenses, external group invoices, etc.).
• Serve as department's procurement and accounts payable agent; prepare purchase requisitions for purchase order and submit to Procurement Services.
•Track orders and file documents from submission of purchase requisition and purchase order to order completion and merchandise receipt.
• Serves as department contact for HR throughout recruitment and personnel processes.
• Creates and maintains database for tracking department personnel positions.
Minimum and Preferred
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent work experience. One year work experience equal to two years education.
• Minimum of four years directly related experience; requires previous experience overseeing office operations and working closely with management team in the delivery of services.
• Position requires attention to detail and excellent organizational skills; must possess exceptional critical listening and thinking skills.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to interact closely with a wide range of constituencies, including executive management team, faculty, staff, students, parents, special event sponsors, visitors, and dignitaries; ability to develop and use empathetic listening skills, communicate with clarity, and maintain an attitude that conveys respect, cooperation, honesty, and resourcefulness.
• Must possess good judgment, tact, sensitivity, and discretion in handling confidential materials and situations.
• Experience with web design and maintenance.
• Ability to learn and quickly adapt to new software.
• Knowledge of USD's mission, policies, and their implications to parking preferred.
• Must be friendly and personable; mature, positive attitude; a team player.
• Must possess high level of initiative to seek out opportunities for improvement within the department.
• Ability to speak Spanish for assisting employees, students, and visitors/vendors preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Working knowledge of the principles and practices of office administration; working knowledge of scheduling and parking administration; learn and use operating practices of the department and the university.
• Knowledge of university scheduling database and related University of San Diego policies and procedures
•Possess excellent human relations skills; be able and willing to represent the university in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve; establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students, and the general public.
• Assume responsibility; deal effectively with challenges, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions. This position must be able to successfully exercise independent authority to carry out all administrative duties. This includes the discretionary authority to determine the manner in which to resolve and accomplish certain assignments.
• Ability to initiate, coordinate, oversee, and complete various projects with minimal supervision.
• Flexible and able to perform in new and quickly changing situations.
•Ability to remain calm under pressure and be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
• Understanding of basic accounting and budgetary procedures, as well as current human resource management policies and procedures.
• Strong interpersonal skills and professional personal presentation ability.
Special Qualifications & Conditions of Employment:
This position requires flexibility to work irregular hours including some evenings and weekends.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: $20.70-$24.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com.