Department: Continuing Education
The Program Coordinator/Senior Program Coordinator provides second-level support to students desiring assistance with any course, program and degree offered through Professional and Continuing Education if the Student Service Center is unable to resolve the issue. Provides direct support to instructors during their application, interview, selection, hiring, and scheduling process – with a keen focus on managing the university guidelines for background checks and HR compliance. Provides first-level support for returning instructors scheduled to teach regarding their contracts, room requests, and course and enrollment management issues. Trains instructors in the use of the student information system so they can retrieve their rolls and rosters. Trains instructors in the use of the learning management system and electronic document distribution systems. For online programs, the Program Coordinator/Senior Program Coordinator provides administrative and logistical support regarding educational program issues such as program planning, student consultation and advising, registration, courses selection, ordering course materials/textbooks, class schedules and timing, time management, and the timelines to complete all items regarding their degree program or course of student. Additionally, this position will review all of the online courses in the Learning Management System for quality assurance. Requires excellent communication skills in a fast-paced environment. Calm and effective communication must be provided in order to handle multiple tasks and requests regarding program information and scheduling. Requires a detail-oriented, independent worker who has the ability to collaborate and contribute in a team environment. Schedules courses and sections in the enrollment database, collects all instructor hiring documents, creates and manages instructor contracts for approval, provides instructor training in the student enrollment system, maintains the master course calendar, processes instructor stipends, processes invoices, produces rosters, tracks course and section progress, and supports the development and delivery of all program and curricular needs. Duties may include: processing grades, organizing mailings, assisting in marketing efforts, tracking expenses, tracking and posting textbook information, making travel arrangements, and scheduling conference venues. Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills. Must have proven ability to anticipate needs and take initiative. Higher education experience in advising, counseling, or student support required. Proven ability to use computers for business applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, data management and web-based database and administrative systems software. Supervision received: general supervision from Program Director, Division of Professional and Continuing Education. Supervision exercised: senior Program Coordinator serves as a work lead to Program Coordinators in their respective departments.
Examples of Work and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
• Coordinates the instructor application, approval, and hiring documentation – including communication and interaction with instructors and references to complete and send required documents and information.
• Serves as first-level support to instructors.
• Responds to email and telephone communication within 24 hours
• Coordinates the contracting process for returning instructors – includes ensuring signed contracts are in place prior to course offering.
• Provides instructor training in student information system for rolls and rosters, in learning management system and electronic document distribution systems.
• Monitors instructor participation in courses – both on-ground and online.
• Drafts instructor stipend documentation and forms.
Senior Program Coordinator engages prospective instructors in advising conversations that increase the number of course offerings and enrollments.
• Coordinates the course approval process and documentation.
• Coordinates course scheduling.
•Creates course profile in enrollment system and submits for approval via the established standards and workflow.
• Creates sections in enrollment system to include section profile, instructor assignment, fees, budget, and grading. Submits for approval via the established standards and workflow.
• Coordinates the end-of-course evaluations process- collects and summarizes evaluation data and provides appropriate feedback.
• Performs quality assurance on program website and updates information as needed.
• Schedules classrooms/venues for off-campus programs – while tracking and managing expenses. Alerts supervisors if unable to procure space or meet budget for venues.
• Coordinates the Master Course List (MCL) for all program planning.
• For online programs: proactively monitors course and program development and initiates self-learning activities to stay abreast of course content, program policies, program promotional efforts, and university polices that may impact the program.
Senior Program Coordinator takes initiative on the management of tracking and reporting program performance to the department.
• Serves as second-level support to students if the Student Service Center is unable to resolve the issue.
• Responds to email and telephone communication within 24 hours.
• Creates and updates the Student Support Timelines and Program Manuals.
For online programs (in addition to above):
• Proactively contacts students each day by telephone to build and maintain relationships for student retention.
• Monitors student progress in student orientation. Contacts and verbally guides students through the orientation course if needed.
• Creates a Student Support Timeline (a comprehensive date-ordered list of all administrative and logistical issues that need to be addressed during a given semester) and advises students on administrative deadlines and procedures (registration, drop/withdrawal, course materials, financial aid, etc.) as indicated in the Student Support Timeline.
• Responds to student requests for assistance within 24 hours.
• Monitors and assures timely postings of announcements, assignments, discussion questions, and exams according to the course schedule.
• Contacts each new student by phone for Learning Preparedness Assessment prior to the start of orientation; must speak with at least 90% of all new incoming students.
• Contacts new and returning students regarding registration procedures, orientation, textbooks and materials.
• Communicates re-registration deadlines to all students. Contacts students who stopped out for a semester and works with them to reenter the program.
• Implements a variety of re-entry initiatives to bring inactive students back into the program.
• Provides basic website training and technical support for students.
Senior Program Coordinator engages prospective students in advising conversations that increase the number of course offerings and enrollments, encourages increased enrollments, and resolves student concerns. Coaches and mentors Program Coordinators on all aspect of student retention and support. Oversees and monitors tasks of Program Coordinators against critical timelines and assists where necessary. Provides supplemental and continuous training to Program Coordinators when necessary.
Process coordination and execution:
• Responds to all inquiries (telephone, Internet, email, walk-in) with courtesy, tact and patience.
• Redirects calls to proper individuals if calls cannot be immediately serviced when answered.
• Follows university policy in communicating and resolving student and instructor issues.
• Manages confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
• Takes ownership of the support issue and exhausts all avenues to properly respond to student and instructor requests and communicate with PCE and the university as needed.
• Tracks expenses and keeps program costs within budget limits.
• Orders program supplies as appropriate.
• Updates and maintains department mailing lists.
•Maintains files for every course including instructor contracts, facilities, course evaluations, and student feedback.
• Supports marketing and advertising efforts as needed for course and certificate campaigns.
• Provides course and program updates for the Student Service Center when changes happen or at least monthly.
• Attends all required internal and external professional meetings, telephone conferences, and training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
• Follows established communication guidelines and protocols and performs all tasks listed in the Student Support Timeline.
• Works with Instructional Designers and Technologists to support course quality assurance.
• Participates in department staff meetings to discuss program opportunities and issues.
• Reviews and monitors Enrollment History and Retention Reports.
• Reviews critical project timelines and reports process to Director.
• Supports and maintains a positive relationship on behalf of Professional and Continuing • Education with all instructors and students.
• Manages instructor and student expectations within the business needs and service standards of Professional and Continuing Education.
• Meets or exceeds retention benchmarks for each semester.
• Other duties as assigned.
Senior Program Coordinator demonstrates initiative to create and maintain internal program documents for information sharing and operating procedures. Creates and updates FAQs and guides for inquiries and other procedures as needed, and assists with new hire training. Requests program information and training from the program developers in order to stay abreast of changes in curriculum, policy, and support needs. Shows initiative to offer updates for existing courses and programs or propose new ones. Senior Program Coordinator assists Program Coordinators when work volume increases or on an as-needed basis and conducts special projects as required. Seeks cross training opportunities in a proactive way. Demonstrates initiative in creating an efficient operational environment. Encourages others to meet all USD compliance standards. Seeks opportunities for program growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrates ownership of processes and procedures involving instructor contracting, scheduling, and support.
• Maintains high efficiency, accuracy, and completeness when using data systems and data formats.
• Develops full proficiency to accomplish work within the student information system(s).
• Tracks and shares updates to program and course developments within PCE.
• Encourages accountability in a collaborative way with other team members.
• Creates and maintains a job manual with information on all program, processes, and timelines within the portfolio.
Senior Program Coordinator trains Program Coordinators. Proactively anticipates students and instructors inquires and finds solutions to improve operations that affect customer services. Creates FAQs, guides, and seeks training opportunities to stay current with all programs information. Demonstrates ownership of all processes and operational management of courses and programs. Finds ways to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency. Helps Program Coordinators with creating their job manuals.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required (one year of experience = two years of education).
• Minimum of two years in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills.
• At least two years experience in customer service.
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate needs and take initiative to propose and implement solutions.
• Experience in higher education, advising, counseling, and/or student support roles.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
• Demonstrated ability to use web-based student information and customer relationship management tools.
• Demonstrated computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and data management.
Senior Program Coordinator (in addition to the above)
• Requires Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, plus three years of related experience.
• Minimum of three years in a position that required critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Three or more years in customer service.
• Demonstrated ability to systematically track and analyze feedback, data, and budget information.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: $18.10- $21.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org