Postdoctoral Fellow (Cheminformatics)
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Postdoctoral Fellow. This position will support the College’s pending DARPA contract, “Discovery reactions and uncovering mechanisms of perovskite formation”. This position is for an initial one year term, with the potential for up to four years pending successful performance and continuation of funding. Fulfillment of this position is contingent on funding approval.
The hired postdoctoral research fellow will conduct scientific research on organohalide perovskite synthesis. This work includes: developing and performing bench-scale feasibility tests of new chemical reactions for organohalide perovskite syntheses suitable for automated reactions; working with remote sites to implement these synthetic routes; planning experiments to be performed at remote sites; work closely with a cheminformatics and computer science postdoctoral fellows to test new types of machine learning tools for experiment-planning.
The successful candidate will have previous, doctoral-level experiences in synthetic solid-state or inorganic chemistry or a closely related field. Previous experience in organohalide perovskite synthesis is highly desirable.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Conduct scientific research on organohalide perovskite synthesis and characterization
- Develop and perform bench-scale tests of new chemical syntheses suitable for automated reactions
- Quarterly travel to coordinate efforts with other laboratory sites
Education, Training, & Experience:
Ph.D. in Chemistry or closely related field (e.g., Materials Science)
The successful candidate will have previously demonstrated experience in inorganic chemistry, solid-state synthesis, and relevant characterization methods. Previous experience with organohalide perovskites is highly desirable.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To receive full consideration, please apply by October 15, 2017.
External Applicants: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Fellow-2_R54
For full consideration, please apply by October 15, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.