Facilities Planning & Management is accepting applications for two HVAC technicians. With minimal or no supervision, this position repairs, maintains and installs heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, including but not limited to: pumps, fans, compressors, cooling towers, chillers, air compressors, pneumatic and electrical controls and heat exchangers. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme heat, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee frequently moves near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places, and in outside weather conditions and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment can be extremely loud.
- Performs daily rounds to check equipment in various mechanical rooms throughout campus to include, but not limited to: 1) checks and maintains alignment of motors with pumps, compressors and V-belt drive equipment, 2) checks and maintains operation of electric controls and starters, 3) logs equipment temperatures, pressures and amperage draw, 4) monitors all water columns, gauges, meters, thermometers and other indicating equipment, and 5) performs chemical analysis and adds chemicals to equipment as needed.
- Diagnoses repair needs on all heating and cooling equipment and performs full corrective actions.
- Performs seasonal changeover of heating and cooling systems as well as seasonal shutdown and start-up of various systems.
- Cleans waterside equipment, cooling towers, condenser tubes and pump strainers.
- Able to operate steam and hot water boilers, auxiliary equipment, transmission and distribution systems.
- Reads and sketches control diagrams and schematics.
- Works with high temperature solders, brazing methods, oxyacetylene and electric arc welding.
- Keeps records and prepares analytical reports.
- Completes work orders distributed by the foremen on a daily basis and tracks time and material for each work order.
- Regulates and adjusts operating controls.
- Responds to call outs for all shops and takes appropriate action.
- Must be computer literate in order to monitor building automation system and to respond to alarms generated by the software.
- Drives to work sites with tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Acceptable knowledge of boiler field functions.
- Knowledgeable of related OSHA and EPA regulations and the ability to effectively communicate regulations to others.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and specifications and must be able to effectively communicate with supervisor, co-workers and other staff and faculty within the community.
- Basic math skills.
- Competency in electrical fields/functions.
- Ability to read and understand service manuals technical specifications, control diagrams, schematics and blueprints.
- Computer skills necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot control circuits with and without printed schematics, using a meter.
- Ability to pass a pre-placement physical.
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Journeyman refrigeration certificate.
- EPA Certification in classes I, II and III.
- Journeyman skill level and minimum of five years of experience in the HVAC field.
- Valid Colorado driver's license.
- Stationary Engineer Certificate, Boiler Operator's license or four years of experience in the boiler field.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Monday, September 25, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) and Pre-Placement Physical.