Assistant Professor and Content Lead for Business Programs
National Louis University is pleased to announce a full-time position for an Assistant Professor and Content Lead for Business Programs beginning Winter 2018, for an individual seeking an opportunity to participate in the academic management of a highly innovative approach to post-secondary preparation.
Who we are
We are a team of dedicated educators who have been working together to build an amazing new Instructional Model that supports first-generation students with a focus on the holistic student. The Pathways Program is in its second year serving undergraduate students at National Louis University. In 2016, we quadrupled in size and now serve almost 400 students and we expect to more than double in size next year. We work fearlessly on educating and retaining students. As a result, we have exceeded national benchmarks with our approach to appreciative advising and data-driven, personalized instruction. Our education is student-focused, expects excellence, provides personalized support in a data-driven environment all with the pillars of continuous improvement and innovation to structure our work.
Who you are
You are: Driven to Succeed.
You are energetic and passionate about a diverse student body that includes many first-generation students. To be successful teaching and leading teachers in this program, you must be committed to excellence in teaching and learning in Higher Education. The position requires you to be agile, creative and engaging while offering a new curriculum and an unparalleled experience to undergraduate students. Enthusiastic candidates have the belief that all students can be successful students. As an active content team lead, you believe in a supportive environment and a student-driven culture.
You will: Promote and Model Best-in-Class Teaching and Learning.
You believe that your work has demonstrated your respect for education and the power that it holds. Each term, you will facilitate blended classes that utilize technology and data to drive instruction. You will work with a dedicated team of Coaches and Instructors, Content Experts and Data Analysts to determine how to personalize the learning experience for your students and all students in your subject area. In addition to teaching content, you will also encourage growth mindset, increase non-cognitive skill development and nurture academic confidence.
You are ready to: Make an Impact.
Each and every day, this program changes lives. You want to be a part of that meaningful innovation. You are someone that will always look for creative ways for students to earn success. We know this work is challenging, but we are in it together. You will serve in a leadership role, so your approach to this work will cascade down to your team of Instructors.
Candidates should have experience in teaching Business specifically Economics and some leadership experience is preferred. This is a full-time, 11-month position that requires instructors to collaborate on a regular basis with the support team that surrounds each student. This position requires on-site teaching at the Chicago campus for daytime courses.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead weekly content collaborative meetings to develop an effective student experience for students.
• Serve as a subject matter expert for 3-6 courses in your discipline.
• Facilitate courses as needed by delivering instruction in a blended and online environment.
• Maintain current and active knowledge in the expertise area that is reflected in instruction.
• Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for postsecondary success for diverse learners.
• Participate in weekly meetings with coaches and faculty to report student progress across courses, suggest interventions and track their effectiveness.
• Mentor in or facilitate weekly labs in which you professionally develop faculty or deliver curriculum that prepares students for success.
• Regularly create and maintain a hiring network in your subject area creating a pool of hiring options, reviewing candidates, perform initial interviews and make recommendations for hire to Program Director.
• Oversee a set of courses and maintain consistency across them through development, implementation and revision.
• Report student data in weekly meetings with faculty.
• Collaborate with leadership on curriculum design and continuous feedback looping to improve student outcomes.
• Create and deliver training on NLU’s technology-based teaching platforms, including an adaptive engine to aid students in the development of competencies.
• Identify gaps between student needs and existing resources and services; generate creative resolutions.
• Create, attend and actively participate in training opportunities provided to build a stronger instructional model.
• Substantive teaching and facilitation skills.
• Experience managing and collaborating extensively with educators.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Collaborative attitude and creative problem-solving skills.
• Passion for to working with a highly diverse and underserved student body.
• Experience using a learning management system.
EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION
• Graduate’s degree in a Business discipline or Graduate Degree in other field with 18 graduate hours in Business. PhD credentials preferred.
• Experience with digital tools for teaching, teaching in either online or blended/hybrid formats, and teaching to students of diverse backgrounds and abilities strongly preferred.