Project Manager Assistant (Commercial & Govt Construction Projects)
Position Description & Assignments
We are recruiting for a full-time Assistant Project Manager position with developmental opportunities. This position has long-term employment possibilities. Primary duties will include participation and support for estimating, project start-up, scheduling, research and requests for information (RFIs), submittals, invoicing, communications, purchasing, material expediting, contract issuance, cost control, quality control, safety, project paperwork, closeout, and client relationships. Typical projects are in the range of $200,000 to $3,000,000, and must conform to the contractual and technical requirements of government agencies. This is not a position for those with residential or simple commercial construction experience.
The incumbent will be reporting primarily to the Vice President, but will receive assignments from Project Managers, and will be expected to work at an independent level, with minimal oversight. Work hours are generally Monday-Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm with infrequent evening and weekend work, during busy seasons. Travel to job sites in the general DC Metropolitan area may be needed to attend project meetings or to coordinate work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage construction projects at the Assistant Project Manager level, with tasks related to the bidding, award, planning, execution, and close-out of design-build or construction contracts. Primary responsibility will be working in conjunction with Project Managers to perform the following duties:
- Preparation of pre-construction submittals - Submittal registers, transmittal documents, lists of contracting/subcontracting personnel, catalog cuts, sample products & materials, submittal packages for approval by government project managers, contracting officers, architects and design engineers.
- Providing research assistance for suppliers, equipment manufacturers, specialty subcontractors, project and contractual requirements and information within or related to the contract documents.
- Tracking progress on various procedures throughout the construction project and report status to project management, construction management, or administrative staff. Such tasks might include follow-through on badging requirements and processing, scheduling access to a work site, coordinating subcontractors or material/equipment deliveries, tracking submittals and return of documents for approval, requesting and assuring delivery of documents or other security/planning tasks by subcontractors or in-house construction management crews.
- Participating in the process for pricing, rentals, purchase orders, and other related tasks to assist with the Project Manager workload.
- Manage and organize electronic files and folders of contract and construction documents. Create or maintain orderly structure for streams of documents, correspondence, forms, plans, reports, and a wide array of communications, requests for information (RFI), and conscientious management of time-sensitive, cost-sensitive, corporate-sensitive, or personnel-sensitive files and information.
- Communicate status, progress, obstacles, coordination, and accomplished tasks to project managers, and other personnel to assure that projects continue smoothly with all concerned parties being aware of your actions and other aspects of the project's development.
- Prepare binders of approved plans, schedules, submittal documents, drawings, and specifications for the construction manager and superintendents out in the field.
- Provide backup support as a liaison between field and management personnel, as required by workload and project management.
- Collect or create closeout documents - warranties, testing reports, waste disposal documents or manifests, operation & maintenance manuals, as-built drawings, and other documents associated with the completion of a project.
- Prepare professional-looking binders, covers, dividers, tabs, with orderly organization of closeout documents for distribution to customer, project managers, or contracting officials. These tasks are the final impression that are left with the clients and affect customer satisfaction and the company's professionalism.
- Participate in project meetings, internally or at the project location, to report status and achievements, discuss obstacles and project issues, coordinate with other team members, request additional support or resources, and plan next action steps. Tasks may include meeting coordination and scheduling, providing meeting agendas, rosters, meeting minutes, and distribution of status updates and two-week look ahead documents.
- Degree or college level studies in Project Management, or a related field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a construction management environment specializing in federal projects.
- Previous project management experience in planning, scheduling and execution.
- Possess a working understanding of estimating, cost accounting and labor costs associated with construction.
- Initiative and self-direction for starting, researching, and completing tasks independently, and developing systems of order and efficiency.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to manage and work well with others.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of precision on detailed work.
- High sense of urgency to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong accountability for delivery of promised actions and a reputation for prompt follow-up.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
Incumbent must be a US Citizen, have the ability to pass a background investigation, hold a valid driver's license, and have/maintain a satisfactory driving record.
Assignments & Benefits
Employees receive 10 federal holidays off with pay. 2 weeks for vacation/personal days, and 1 week paid sick leave accumulate annually, from weekly accrual. Subsidized healthcare insurance is available from the employer, and a company-matched 401(k) plan is offered to all employees. The company promotes professional development with paid job related training (most notably, for Quality Control Management and Safety certifications). Shared cost reimbursement of a job-related course of study is available for those employees who are motivated and on a career track to professional certification.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Veterans and individuals with disabilities are also actively sought and will also receive full and equitable consideration for this opportunity. Full-time employees are eligible for medical and dental insurance options, paid time off, participation in a limited employer-matching 401(k) plan, and employer-sponsored training and professional development.
Signature Renovations LLC is an established small business construction company based in Capitol Heights, MD. We specialize in general contracting, mechanical, electrical, architectural, and multi-discipline construction and renovation projects, mainly for federal agencies in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Thu, 14 Sep 2017 10:18:15 PDT