Director of Development, Athletics and Recreation
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Development within the University of Denver (DU) Advancement and partnering closely with the Associate Vice Chancellor for External Affairs in Athletics, the Director of Development is a key fundraising professional for the University of Denver. S/he will manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects while also partnering with a campus-wide network of academic leaders, fundraising professionals, and other key partners to advance the University's top priorities, as expressed in DU IMPACT 2025. The Director of Development will develop and mature his/her assigned portfolio of major gift donors. This will include managing top prospects in pursuit of individual fundraising goals set annually in collaboration with the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Development and the Associate Vice Chancellor for External Relations in Athletics & Recreation. Additionally, the Director of Development will collaborate with Advancement leadership and senior university administrators to determine and implement institutional fundraising priorities, establish short- and long-term strategies, and monitor progress toward goals. The campus-wide Advancement team is highly collaborative in its work and the Director will be expected to build and foster extensive value-added relationships with his/her campus partners.
The University of Denver is seeking an experienced, driven, and passionate fundraiser to join our Advancement team as the Director of Development serving Athletics & Recreation. This is a unique opportunity for a talented fundraising professional to join a dynamic, growing and purposeful enterprise united around a compelling mission charted by Chancellor Rebecca Chopp and Vice Chancellors Peg Bradley Doppes and Armin Afsahi.
- Develop meaningful and productive relationships with a portfolio of major and principal gift donors including alumni, friends and parents.
- Responsible for engaging philanthropic support for the priorities of Athletics & Recreation at DU, and s/he will work primarily with major, principal, and planned gift donors assigned to his/her portfolio.
- Collaborate with other development professionals across campus to effectively design and execute gift strategies.
- In partnership with the Associate Vice Chancellor, External Relations for Athletics & Recreation and the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Development, establish fundraising priorities based on the strategic vision for Athletics & Recreation. Help educate colleagues and peers across campus on those priorities.
- Engage in the advancement goal-setting process for Athletics & Recreation fundraising and engagement metrics.
- Effectively and responsibly steward budgetary and other resources to advance Athletics & Recreation and the University of Denver. Partnerships & University Citizenship.
Partnerships & University Citizenship
- Serve as an active and collaborative partner to all Athletics & Recreations departments and functions, central and unit-based advancement functions, and other campus colleagues, to foster strategic, effective, and collaborative fundraising practices.
- Model "One DU" leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to close major gifts ($50,000+) in a relationship-based culture. Alternatively, demonstrated ability to solicit, steward, and close business deals at the same level.
- Demonstrated ability to provide fundraising strategy and support to academic/organizational leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to secure major gifts ($50,000+) by strategically managing a portfolio and fostering meaningful relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to form and fully leverage cross-functional teams of colleagues, volunteers, and academic/administrative leaders toward closure of transformational gifts.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to represent the University of Denver, and its major initiatives and units, in a variety of capacities.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of independence, maintain confidentiality, prioritize assignments, and manage time effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, donors, volunteers, and University Officials.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups having competing interests and priorities within the University and community.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5 years of paid fundraising and/or relationship-based sales experience.
- Valid driver's license.
- Experience working in an athletics and/or college-based development environment.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Friday, September 29, 2017.
Applicants must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online with a cover letter and resume will be accepted.