Assistant Vice Chancellor, Alumni Engagement
The Assistant Vice Chancellor will oversee campus-wide alumni engagement activities as well as programs designed for alumni of specific schools, colleges and units. The University of Denver is unique in its academic portfolio, which boasts both a strong undergraduate experience as well as highly respected graduate and professional schools. Alumni identify with both the institution as well as their specific academic units within it, and the Assistant Vice Chancellor must be creative in his/her approach toward crafting engagement strategies that emphasize the intersection of those identities.
S/he will also launch and lead DU's regional campaign strategy, a nation-wide commitment to build and maintain a continuous presence in the University's major markets. Through the regional advancement program, the Assistant Vice Chancellor will strategically engage the global Pioneer family in supporting and advancing the University. S/he will also work closely with development professionals in the regions to holistically build a culture of engagement and philanthropy in each of the primary markets. With over sixty percent of the alumni base living outside of Colorado and thousands of parents and friends spread throughout the country, the Assistant Vice Chancellor's leadership will be imperative in building and sustaining a strong national cultivation strategy.
Success will be realized in awakening a community of advocates for the University of Denver. This position will require a strong understanding of alumni relations functions, trends and best practices, as well as an innovative and curious mindset with an eagerness to engage people in entirely new ways. The successful incumbent will possess strong organizational savvy and will be able to lead and serve in a highly collaborative environment.
Campus-Wide Alumni Engagement
- Responsible for leading a team of engagement professionals who are functionally aligned with Global Networks within DU Advancement and are embedded within their assigned schools, colleges and units.
- Oversee University-wide engagement opportunities and align unit-specific programming with campus-wide efforts and priorities.
- Build DU's continuous presence in key markets across the United States.
- Lead the design and execution of market engagement strategies for each region, and partner with engagement and development professionals embedded in those regions to achieve regional goals.
- Nurture a sustainable network of volunteers and leaders to effectively scale engagement efforts and facilitate two-way communication that represents the interests and voice of the alumni body and allows the University to communicate needs and news as well as celebrate accomplishments.
- Serve as a member of the Vice Chancellor's leadership team, helping to craft and guide the overarching strategy of DU's advancement enterprise.
- Provide comprehensive leadership of a highly outbound team that proactively brings DU into a place of greater relevance for employers, alumni, and parents serving as advocates and volunteers. This includes supporting the day-to-day functionality of the alumni engagement team, as well as facilitating recruitment, hiring, training, mentoring, evaluation, and professional development.
- Directly supervise the campus-based alumni engagement team (10-12 full time employees) and the regionally-based engagement team (5 full time employees).
- The Assistant Vice Chancellor is also responsible for effectively managing the alumni engagement operating budget, including monitoring transactions, promoting policy compliance, and assisting in budget modeling and forecasting processes.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in constituent engagement, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing personnel, with a demonstrated commitment to coaching, mentoring, and developing team members.
- Master's degree.
- Experience leading alumni and/or employer relations in a complex and dynamic higher education setting.
- Experience leading alumni relations activities during a comprehensive campaign.
- Experience forming and/or leading a regionally-based engagement program.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Friday, September 29, 2017.
Applicants must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online with a cover letter and resume will be accepted.