Senior Director, Alumni Engagement & Outreach
The Alumni Association is the heart of the university, inspiring life-long connections with a global network of University of Maryland alumni. This vision sheds new light on and provides new responsibilities for the Alumni Engagement and Outreach (AEO) team, exemplifying the team’s importance in setting the stage for philanthropic success. The work of this team includes being an integral part of increasing membership to 50,000 by 2019, increasing alumni event and program participation numbers and working closely with development to achieve their financial goals.
As a member of the Alumni Association within the Division of University Relations, the Senior Director of Alumni Engagement and Outreach is responsible for the planning of strategies, initiatives, and programs that increase alumni participation and engagement throughout the country. This person oversees the engagement of all alumni in the country, mainly through the work of the Association’s regional and affinity networks. The Senior Director also creates and implements strategies to engage and activate alumni living in region specific areas.
The Senior Director will strive to connect, cultivate and channel the power of alumni to enrich themselves and advance the university through the four pillars of the Alumni Association: Join, Volunteer, Advocate, and Give. Specifically, the Senior Director will recruit and support volunteers, identify and engage alumni for future volunteer leadership and philanthropic support, manage and execute events, ensure effective alumni communications and quality alumni data, and effectively coordinate specific alumni relations strategies and programs into the overarching alumni relations and campaign strategies for the University of Maryland. In addition, the Senior Director will manage a team of four engagement and outreach staff that will manage initiatives both within this team and throughout the Association.
This position reports directly to the Associate Executive Director of Alumni Engagement and Outreach, and is expected to work occasional evening and weekends as necessary. 20% local and national travel is required.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s Degree required.
A minimum of 5 years professional experience working in alumni relations, marketing, program development, relationship management or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong customer service skills.
• Skilled at leading teams through the process of discussion and decision making to advance an organization’s plans.
• Excellent public speaking, communication (written and oral), planning, organizational, leadership, team building and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups, multi-task, think strategically and to set and achieve both long- and short-term goals in a fast-paced environment.
• Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Ability to travel approximately 20% time locally and nationally.