Research Technologist (Building Systems Technician)
General Description of Position:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) is seeking a BRI Building Systems Technician. This position is specialized and dedicated to the BRI. This position performs in a preventive, predictive, and responsive manner to address sensitive infrastructure systems and equipment operations.
The position has broad scope responsibilities associated with complex mechanical, electrical and building management control systems that function as critical components to safety and health of occupants, prevention of accidental release of biological materials into the environment, and assurances of continuous facility operations and regulatory compliance.
This position is required to provide response to the facility system emergencies as needed and may occur day or night 7 days a week. Manage procedures and requirements to maintain complex equipment, systems, and facilities associated with BSL-3 and BSL 3Ag biocontainment. Includes approaches determined to prevent risks of exposure or release of infectious disease agents from loss of containment, participation in bio-risk management protocols, compliance with federally mandated laws for training, access, occupational medicine, and security related to Select Agents and mission of the BRI.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Requires an associate degree and two or more years of relevant experience. Education in natural sciences and/or engineering may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
- Consent to and pass an initial basic criminal background check - refreshed every 3 years (condition of employment).
- Submit application for Security Risk Assessment approval through Department of Justice for Select Agent Program (condition of employment).
- Two years of experience in laboratory procedures and analysis
- Ability to be trained and function at "operator" level of the computerized building management system.
- Ability to learn and utilize the facility Centralized Maintenance Management System.
- Ability to learn applications and methods for applying specialized coatings and sealing compounds.
- Previous experience working in high performance facilities (biocontainment, nuclear, hospital, research, etc.).
- Experience using computer based maintenance management systems. Industrial boiler or chiller or HVAC operations experience/certificates.
- Electrical or electronics experience. Specialized coatings experience. Relevant training certificates in facility trades.
- Experience reading technical specifications and requirements for performing preventive maintenance activities.
- Ability to pursue block mechanical license.
- Experience in building industrial mechanical trades; electrical, electronics, plumbing, power plant operations, boiler operations, HVAC, and electronic/pneumatic control troubleshooting and repair.
- Ability to communicate well in written and oral formats.
- Desire and ability to learn and apply biocontainment principles to maintenance and operation of building systems.
- Knowledge of risk assessment approaches and risk mitigation concepts. Knowledge of chilled water systems. Knowledge of Glycol energy recovery systems.
Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions :
Ability to participate in rotating after hours on-call if/when necessary. The work duties occur in all areas of the facility (mechanical areas, biocontainment laboratories, animal rooms, electrical rooms, outdoor environments, offices, and conference spaces. Hazards include but not limited to: chemicals, biological (infectious) material, hot and cold weather temperatures, electrical shock, working at heights with fall hazards, physical injury from tools and equipment, noise, eye hazards, etc.
Screening of Applications Begin:
Screening of applications begins on September 29, 2017
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$16.38-27.85 per hour, University Support Staff, limited term
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Background check required.