JOB NO.: 92015-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: CALS/EXTRNAL AFFAIRS/COMP PRG
Categories: Communications, Editing, Marketing, Public Relations
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 92015-AS
Working Title: COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Official Title: UNIV RELATIONS SPEC(T54DN) or ASSOC UNIV REL SPEC(T54FN)
Hiring Department: A071620-COL OF AG & LIFE SCIENCES/EXTRNAL AFFAIRS/COMP PRG
Anticipated Begin Date: JANUARY 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $36,790 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
A bachelors degree is required. Specialization in journalism, communications, English, agricultural science or biological science is preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
This position requires at least one year of professional experience in a communications setting or at least one year of student employment in a directly relevant role.
The candidate must demonstrate:
- Photography experience and strong photography and photo editing skills.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to research, report and write stories and other copy on deadline.
- Strong editing skills and the ability to quickly and effectively edit stories or other copy.
- Ability to translate agricultural and/or scientific information for general audiences.
- Strong time-management skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to work collaboratively on projects.
- Ability to independently manage and execute projects.
Preference will be given to candidates who also demonstrate:
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom to edit and process photos.
- Ability to produce videos, audio slideshows, enriched digital stories and other multimedia content using software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Audition, Audacity.
- Experience (professional, student and/or volunteer) in science journalism and/or agricultural journalism.
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite programs.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Constant Contact and/or other web and email content management systems.
- Experience in media relations, and a keen understanding of the needs of news media, news cycles and deadlines.
- Familiarity with Wisconsin agriculture and/or the life sciences.
This position supports the communication goals of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS). As a member of the CALS Office of External Relations team, the communications specialist will produce a wide variety of photographic and written content, along with some multimedia content, for the college's news operation, print and digital publications, websites, social media, annual reports, presentations and other outlets/materials. The communications specialist will also help with standard duties of the college's news office. The position reports to the CALS news manager.
Some assignments will require travel and/or evening and weekend work.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click 'Apply Online' to begin the application process. You will be asked to provide a resume and letter of interest (cover letter), as well as two short writing samples as a single document and two photography samples as another document for a total of 4 documents uploaded. Please limit your submissions to just two samples of both your writing and photography rather than providing links to portfolios of your work at this time.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Sep 17 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Oct 15 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time