Finance Associate, Athletics
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation, an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation's capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager for Athletics, the Finance Associate will support the financial management office by performing the following:
- Provides exceptional customer service as the first point-of-contact for the department and coordinates meetings, training, and other activities in support of operational activities.
- Collaborates with Accounting Manager and Finance Director (FD) in preparation of budget, forecasts, detailed account analysis and tracking of trends.
- Runs financials from university accounting systems and provides monthly reports to FD, department heads, and coaches, including explanation of variances; administers financial reporting, including preparing routine journal entries to facilitate monthly financial reporting, checking deposits, assisting with chart of accounts maintenance, reviewing Pinnacle and Facilities Management subsystems for propriety in charges, correcting and solving issues.
- Analyzes financial data to identify trends and mitigate potential risks; researches industry best practices (e.g. financial benchmarks, policies, statutory codes, etc.) for a variety of administrative and fiscal requirements.
- Initiates, reviews and monitors all purchases, account balances, and related financial activity for the assigned department and/or team sport(s); analyzes monthly financials to confirm proper charging of operating expenditures and revenues in accordance with University procedures, and take corrective action where needed.
- Provides support to departments and affiliates for areas such as: procurement, expense reporting, student hires, labor distributions and labor redistributions.
- Provides inventory management support.
- Identifies gaps in business processes and procedures. Supports the FD and Accounting Manager in developing internal financial and budget management policies, processes, and procedures to enhance information flow and maintain accurate records for the division. Ensures all employees with fiscal responsibilities receive proper training either directly or via the appropriate GW department, and that all required acknowledgments are received.
- Develops tracking and monitoring tools to ensure progress in achieving strategic and department work plan goals; as well as key performance indicators division-wide such as invoice aging, budget utilization, transaction cycle times, etc.
- Prepares and coordinates distribution of various financial reports and analyses to higher management. Prepares written materials for presentations and correspondence (e.g. reports, memos, letters, financial information, meeting minutes, etc.) to document activities, provide written reference and/or convey information.
- Responds to a wide variety of inquiries from internal and external parties (e.g. staff, students, etc.) to provide information, facilitate communication among parties, and/or provide direction.
- Maintains files and records (manual/computer; confidential/non-confidential) (e.g. budget, purchase orders, payroll, etc.) to provide documentation in accordance with administrative and legal requirements.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Degree in Business, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or similar field
- Strong knowledge of NCAA regulations
- Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications, databases, spreadsheets and word processing
- Experience with fiscal management and daily operations of an intercollegiate athletics department preferred
- Experience with Oracle Financials (EAS) Software Application is highly desirable
- Strong organizational, management and communications skills with attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and provide excellent customer service
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Athletics and Recreation Family Finance and Business Sub-Family Division/School Financial Management Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006577 Job Open Date: 08/09/2017 Job Close Date: 08/16/2017 If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid CPA license?
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration?
- * Do you have experience with fiscal management and daily operations of an intercollegiate athletics department?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office with emphasis on the advanced features of Excel and Word?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter