IT Specialist - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1700568)
Engineering IT Shared Services
College of Engineering
University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for an IT Specialist. Engineering IT is the primary information technology services provider for Engineering at Illinois, serving the IT needs of more than 1,100 faculty and staff and over 10,000 students. The mission is to ensure that all faculty, students and staff in the College have easy and well-supported access to IT services that are second to none in support of their teaching, research, and learning. Engineering IT prides itself on a user-centric approach to IT, with emphasis on effectiveness, visibility and accountability. The organization has a strong commitment to career and professional development with a dedicated training budget, defined promotion tracks and performance-based raises for full time positions. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team. More information about Engineering IT can be found at http://it.engineering.illinois.edu/about-us/.
This position will provide end-user workstation, application, and system support for assigned departments and users within the College of Engineering, which includes focusing on one or more of the following: administrative business and academic operations, classrooms and instructional labs, or research computing/HPC. Includes managing file and print shares, wired networks, and Engineering specific software and licensing.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Assigned to one of various sections within the Engineering IT organization structure (e.g. Help Desk Services, User Services, Instructional Services, Research Services)
- Work with units and individual faculty to provide the unique technological needs for their learning and research environment
- Consult with users on installation and use of software applications which also interface with network connections, and optimize systems for best performance
- Assist in planning, research, purchasing, and installation of IT systems and products (hardware/software deployment)
- Provide user assistance with network connectivity, administer local building networks, manage DNS and DHCP for departmental networks
- Promote use of centralized services where practical; Acquire such services and adapt such services to unique needs of unit or users
- Analyze functional and performance issues associated with use of technology, collaborate with peers on possible solutions and implement corrective actions in a timely manner
- Perform varied IT tasks requiring some evaluation, originality, and /or ingenuity
- Independently complete assigned projects with durations of 2-6 months
- Advise on use of varied computing and communications technology
- Respond to requests in a timely, polite, and professional manner
- Promote excellent Customer Service by taking responsibility for assigned users, owning problems until resolution
- Actively maintain relationships with user community; Proactively communicate relevant IT information, stay informed of user's needs and initiatives
- As needed, supervise student hourly employees, including the assignment of tasks, performance management, etc.
- Interact with various teams within Engineering IT Shared Services to ensure outstanding service delivery to the end-users.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- Three (3) or more years of full-time or equivalent part-time professional experience in IT operations
- Two (2) or more years supporting Windows, Macintosh, or Linux in a workstation environment
- Two (2) or more years working in a dynamic customer service environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to a variety of audiences (management, peers, and users) as well as the ability to write documentation
- Familiarity with enterprise tools and services such as endpoint management, imaging, or centralized solutions
- Experience troubleshooting common desktop and mobile computing applications and hardware
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, or other directory service
- Ability to diagnose network problems, and maintain network security; knowledge of essential network services (DNS, DHCP, VoIP, and/or VPNs)
- Experience in the application of IT security concepts
- Completes most work with limited supervision, appropriately judging when to seek assistance or guidance from subject experts or management
- Experience with two (2) or more operating system platforms
- Experience in technology support at an institution of higher education or equivalent
- Experience working in a team or collaborative environment
- Experience with at least one enterprise endpoint management solution (Examples: Microsoft SCCM, IBM Endpoint Manager, Dell KACE, CFEngine)
- Experience scripting or programming in at least one format or language
- Supervisory experience, including delegation and assessment of work
The IT Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, minimum of $49,000.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by October 1, 2017. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by that date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at email@example.com or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: IT Specialist - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1700568)
Open Date: 09/15/2017
Close Date: 10/01/2017
Organization Name: Engineering IT Shared Services