Director of Human Resources - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (A1700569)
Director of Human Resources
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for human resource process oversight and policy guidance for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. LAS is the largest college on campus and home to over 50 academic units with over 3,000 paid employees. This is a full-time twelve-month position. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. This search is internal to campus. Consideration of applications is limited to candidates who possess a current affiliation with the Illinois campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide HR advice to senior-level administrators, both in the college office and in academic units.
- Function as primary liaison for the College to campus-level Academic Human Resources, Staff Human Resources, Claims Management offices and Legal Counsel for all HR-related issues. Represent LAS on campus Academic Caucus, contract negotiations and campus focus groups.
- Serve as primary resource person for and provides guidance to HR staff across the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) regarding human resources (HR) employment policies and processes, including offers, appointments, title changes, separations, summer appointments and benefits.
- Oversee College-level review and processing of transactions processed in the university's online system.
- Coordinate HR training and implementations of HR-related business applications, policies, and operating procedures within the College. Ensure college-wide HR compliance for all units working closely with the business managers and other HR staff.
- Develop and implement new college HR processes and procedures.
- Lead the LAS HR bi-monthly meetings for HR contacts in the college.
- Serve as college coordinator for mandatory training and compliance programs (i.e., Ethics, Title IX, RNUA)
- Assist in problem resolution including formal complaints and grievances.
- Handle HR issues (appointments, payroll, FMLA requests, exit procedures, annual academic benefit usage reporting process) for college administrative units.
- Create ad hoc reports using payroll and HR data in the data warehouse. These reports are used by the College and departments for management purposes.
- Assist the Director of Budget and Resource Planning with annual salary program management, promotional and retention cases, and other high-level HR activities through the Office of the Dean as requested.
- Prepare ad hoc reports using payroll and HR data in the EDW.
- Work autonomously and independently to conduct research, interpret findings, and make recommendations for various HR-related appointments and hiring practices given the complex, interdisciplinary nature of the units.
- Supervise the office administrator who works with HR processing.
- Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in human resources, 5 of which must be at the University of Illinois.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Supervisory experience and strong team-building skills.
- Experience with and knowledge of academic personnel policies and procedures at the University of Illinois.
- Master's degree in human resources, higher education, business or other related field.
- PHR and/or SHRM-CP certifications.
Please create your candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload application materials through this system. To ensure full consideration, upload a letter of interest, a current curriculum vita, and names and contact information for three professional references by October 2, 2017. The preferred starting date is as soon as possible after deadline date.
Nominations and questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Director of Human Resources - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (A1700569)
Open Date: 09/15/2017
Organization Name: LAS Administration