Unified Communications Manager
Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 09-15-2017
The Unified Communications Team Lead supervises and mentors a small team of Unified Communications professionals whose duties are to maintain, optimize, and provide technical expertise for enterprise and business level UC systems (both hardware and software). This hands-on team lead position performs the same duties as team members overseeing the UC systems and act as a primary administrator for each of the systems that comprise the campus unified communications infrastructure.
The individual in this role will uphold departmental standards by following proper procedure and demonstrate effective use of time, tools, and resources. The individual will also be responsible for maintaining hardware refresh cycles. The individual will also serve as backup or secondary administrator on other enterprise applications performing only some of the duties outlines for those specific applications.
Team Lead duties include:
1. Supervising, guiding, mentoring, coaching, and motivating employees
2. Coordinate team logistics
3. Coordinate team status, task accomplishment, and direction
4. Perform personnel duties related to HR
Technical duties include:
1. Perform UC system administration and maintenance, which includes tasks like configuration, troubleshooting, monitoring, change managing, patching, and performance tuning
2. Provide technical analysis around how we use and should adopt and/or modify various functionalities of assigned applications/hardware
3. Perform technical support & incident management providing subject matter expertise on UC systems
4. Perform daily adds, moves, changes, and deletes
5. Create, maintain, and update system and configuration specific documentation
6. Create test plans and perform testing on application changes
1. Bachelor's degree or Advanced degree
2. 5 years of hands on work experience with systems administration, specifically with Microsoft Windows Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
3. 5 years of experience performing troubleshooting and problem solving, including leveraging other support personnel and vendors
4. 4 years of experience with system and security monitoring of servers and server applications, such as Cisco's RTMT
5. 5 years of experience performing various system administration duties for assigned applications including installation, configuration, and patch management
6. 5 years demonstrated strong customer service skills along with a desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, process and service quality and reliability.
7. Strong understanding of networking technologies such as IPv4, DNS, and DHCP
8. Foundational understanding of e-mail and other collaborative technologies, such as Microsoft Exchange and the Office 365 suite.
9. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to conduct internal and external meetings.
10. Ability to work independently and in a team environment with good communication and collaboration skills.
11. Ability to clearly communicate complex technical concepts verbally and in writing to management, technical staff, and customers in terms of appropriate for each audience.
12. Strong attention to detail
13. Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements
14. Ability to develop and maintain technology and process documentation.
15. Ability to maintain and grow stakeholder relationships
16. Ability to work with considerable latitude and independence of action
17. Foundation qualification in Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) v3
18. Strong project, analysis, and research skills
19. Affinity for the business of higher education and where technology can provide value in teaching, learning, research, and administration
20. Strong understanding of directory services, such as Active Directory and LDAP
21. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Previous leadership training and/or 1 year's supervisory experience.
2. 4 years of hands on work experience with Cisco Unified Communications applications such as:
o Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Emergency Responder, Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence, and Cisco Unified Contact Center Express.
3. 4 years of hands on work experience with dial plans and call routing
4. 4 years of experience managing Cisco Voice Gateways and Unified Border Elements, specifically Cisco IOS VoIP-related configurations
5. 3 years of hands on experience with Fax over IP technologies
6. 4 years of experience with unified communications system with more than 1000 users
7. Strong understanding of VoIP protocols and standards such as SIP, SDP, DSPs, DTMF standards, and Codecs
8. Experience with managing UC-related hardware and software on SmartNet Contracts
9. Strong understanding of cloud technologies.
10. Strong understanding of Database technologies such as PostgreSQL, IBM Informix, MySQL, and SQL
11. Experience with video and web conferencing solutions, such as Skype for Business, WebEx, and Zoom.
12. Experience collecting technical requirements and designing appropriate process and software solutions.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.