Housing IT Associate Director, DB, Web, Systems, Support
Housing/Dining Information Technology at the University of Colorado Boulder is accepting applications for the position of Associate Director: DB, Web, Systems & Support. This position has senior and lead responsibilities across the Housing IT unit, and will use available resources and independent judgment to determine the strategic direction and technical implementation for the unit and the initiatives. Responsibilities also include formulating and solving problems, improving service delivery, uptime, continuous evaluation of systems, and identifying and authorizing the implementation of changes for cost-effectiveness and greater productivity. The Associate Director will provide key administrative oversight, decision making and consulting for Housing IT's annual budget of $8.8 million, and will also architect and implement service integrations between Housing and Campus technological initiatives and serve as head of Housing IT in the event of the Director's absence.
Who we are:
Housing & Dining Services provides services to over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students on the CU Boulder campus. Our 650 full time staff and 1000 student staff strive to provide excellent customer service and to support student success through our programs in residence hall and apartment living, dining services and catering, conference services and child care. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, which includes 22 days of vacation, 15 days of sick leave, 10 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement and ECOPass.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Strategic & Technical Leadership
- Provide strategic direction and senior decision making to discern and oversee development efforts of lead managers for database systems and departmental initiatives.
- Analyze business processes, departmental systems, and related technology to determine their technology needs.
- Ensure availability and accuracy for mission critical database systems, oversight of all other database systems and involved staff.
- Recommend new technologies to improve operations and customer service.
- Maintain database ‘best practice' procedures regarding hardware platform and software functionality and coordinating HIT operations with HDS units.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the unit's strategic plan, long and short range goals, and action plans as related to IT.
- Develop methods for integrating different systems data and customizing reports to fit specific needs.
- Manage mission critical databases: PCS, Kx, StarRez, FSS, CCure, Salto, TMA, Kronos, JIRA/Confluence, Business Intelligence, Data Warehouse, Report Services, ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) Interfaces, plus 120+ supporting databases and servers.
- Manage development and custom reports for the department and 16 interfaces with other campus systems.
- Manage HDS websites including applications with financial transactions, P2PE (Point to Point Encryption), the Buff OneCard site, and custom sites such as OnCampus and intranet development.
- Oversee the Help Desk, ensure best practices are followed, foster and maintain high level of customer loyalty.
- Identify and architect methods, practices and workflows to improve HIT's service delivery across the entire spectrum of existing and new technology related services offered to HDS and the Campus.
- Oversee HIT's project portfolio, consisting of over 30 active projects with budgets of at least $50K.
- Create a culture of innovation among staff, as well as raving fans of HIT's clients.
- Provide supervision for lead unit managers. Indirect and direct supervision for multiple teams within HIT including coordinating and developing vendor relationships to create cost-effective contracts.
- Provide leadership for vision in strategic IT directions, decisions and goals for the HIT unit.
- Identify gaps in IT staffing resources, skill sets, culture or other and mitigate appropriately.
- Provide senior supervision and management for IT professional standards and best practices.
- Assist and advise the Director.
Budget & Planning
- Research and evaluate current and future IT industry trends.
- Ensure fiscal responsibility for expenses related to Information Technology's budgets.
- Develop budget reports and projections.
What we can offer:
The anticipated salary for this position is $120,000.00.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be strategic. Be collaborative. Be engaged. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree in an IT, business, or related field. In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, professional experience in an IT field may be substituted on a year for year basis.
- 10 years of experience in: managing IT projects, setting organizational culture and implementing strategic vision, in IT budget management, ensuring the most value for funds expended, in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications, and experience in creating and establishing IT policies and processes to support unit and department strategies.
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience involving direct and indirect supervision of at least 8 full-time professional IT staff.
- Experience with administrative oversight of servers, databases, networks, and IT services.
What you will need:
- Outstanding verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's in information technology, computer science, higher education, MBA, or a related field.
- Proficiency in working with vendors, negotiation, and contractual agreements
- Experience working with all or many of the software systems currently run by the department.
- Project Management Certification: PMP, PgMP, PfMP, Certified Scrum Master, or Certified Scrum Product Owner.
- ITIL Certification.
- Systems or Security Certification: Security+, CISSP, MCSA, VCP.
- Experience with Drupal Content Management System.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 2, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11036.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10392 - Housing-Technology Services
Posting Date: Sep 15, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 2, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00704192