Access Services Specialist
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Health Sciences Library-Access Services Department
Access Services Specialist (Library Technician II)
Position #212485 - Requisition #11138
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Health Sciences Library/Access Services Department has an opening for a full-time, state classified Access Services Specialist position.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
This Access Services Specialist is responsible for providing customer services, opening and closing of the library on weekends, staffing the customer service desk answering information and reference questions, assisting users with library technology, and helping users to search and navigate discovery systems to find appropriate resources. The position is primarily responsible for managing course reserves, training and managing of student assistant employees, evening oversight and responsible as closer of the service desk and the library regularly for Sundays - Thursday evenings, and a large amount of customer service desk coverage on a weekly basis. The position manages and coordinates department supplies, and provides support to keeping statistics like library's gate count, and assists with collection of user feedback as directed. The position works on library committees and other special projects as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $34,106 to $39,000* and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
Two years of professional experience working in library service area.
Substitution: Additional appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds on an occasional basis with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to bend, stoop and kneel on a frequent basis with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to walk and stand for long periods of time on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to work nights and weekends.
- Bachelor's degree in English, communication, library science or a closely related field.
- Experience working with automated systems, such as Integrated Library Management System (ILS or ILMS such as Innovative, ALMA, Polaris, etc.)
- Experience instructing library patrons on how to begin library research processes, use of electronic databases, use of computerized catalog systems, the Internet, and print resources.
- Experience supervising and training student assistants and/or other part-time employees.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form, which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors and document procedures in written form;
- Willingness to learn and attain proficiency and competencies in troubleshooting problems with and educating library users about best practices, options and configuration of library or personal equipment and technologies used in public spaces of the library, e.g. instructing users in use of library's circulating laptops or other electronic user gadgets;
- Proficient with both Windows PC operating system and Apple MAC operating system; Comfortable and proficient with MS Office suite and other software;
- Beginning to intermediate skills using Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Excel (to maintain statistics, data, and information), and Word (to develop, edit and update reports, handouts and correspondence).
- Knowledge of utilizing library search tools to search and retrieve information from electronic databases and computer systems;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds which also includes experience working with internal and external contacts, such as students, staff, faculty, vendors, or publishers;
- Must possess a professional demeanor and have experience that demonstrates ability to interpret complex rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines; problem solving skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and project; meet multiple deadlines; work independently with minimal supervision;
- The successful candidate will be detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment, collaborate with co-workers, and maintain good working relations at all times.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until September 20, 2017. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20570 - AVC-OARS Medical Library
Posting Date: Sep 15, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 20, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Carlos Miron
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00212485