IT Specialist III
IT Specialist III
IT Specialist III
CAS-Info Technology Services - 120300
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday- Friday, 8am-5pm
The College Lab Services (COLAS) Specialist (IT Specialist III) works with other members of the COLAS team to provide first and second-level technical support and is responsible for managing over 500 computer systems in a primarily Windows environment, while also supporting, documenting, and assisting in the creation of the technical services used for instruction in varied departmental student computing facilities across the College of Sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Mayborn School of Journalism. This work is usually varied, sometimes complex, and requires a broad understanding of IT concepts and best practices to implement enterprise-level solutions that may also deal with confidential and/or highly sensitive information.
Daily work consists of responding to service requests from lab managers and solving as many issues as possible via remotely accessing lab machines. Additional work includes: creating service tickets in one or more ticket tracking systems, monitoring ticket queues for externally-generated tickets, and working tickets in these ticketing systems that are general troubleshooting in nature; providing on-site desktop support to multiple student computing facilities; solving unique instructional software requirements/problems and or computer system configurations and documenting these solutions; and miscellaneous other IT-related duties.
The CAS IT Services department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an IT Specialist III to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Evaluate, install, test, and maintain a wide variety of MS Windows computer systems and applications in multiple departmental student computing facilities.
* Provide a computing environment that is compatible with and promotes the curricular goals of the supported departments.
* Provide courteous, qualified and timely service and support.
* Create and resolve support tickets using internal and campus-wide ticket tracking systems.
* Remediate computer security incidents.
* Maintain current and accurate documentation on systems and practices for ease of reference and business continuity.
* Assist departments in strategic planning regarding changes in technology.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions:
* Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. from floor to table height and back.
* Must possess physical dexterity required to crawl under computer tables and connect/disconnect computer cables.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's Degree in related field and four years of related computing work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Prior experience with specific systems, equipment and software may be specified as needed by department.
* Knowledge of principles of computing and communications networks, and characteristics of computing hardware and software used in distributed environment.
* Ability to operate computer keyboards and to install computer hardware.
* Ability to assimilate, retain and utilize technical and applications-oriented information.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Admin experience with both Windows and MacOS.
* Experience managing computers in Active Directory using Group Policies.
* Experience managing network printing.
* Experience creating install packages using SCCM.
* Experience cloning machines in a lab environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting