Senior Animal Technician
Salary: $39,360 - $46,620
Title: Senior Animal Technician
Category: Science and Research
Department: Office of Campus Veterinarian
Date Posted: 09/15/2017
Position Information: Under the general supervision of the area supervisor with day-to-day coaching, the employee has overall responsibility for managing and evaluating vivarium operations, implementing changes as required to maintain continued compliance with the guidelines set forth by various regulating bodies (i.e. USDA, AAALAC International) and the IACUC. The Senior Animal Technician will serve as back-up for other technicians in campus vivaria and will participate in training entry level technicians to perform routine animal husbandry tasks. Routine daily follow-up checks of work are made. Other assignments are made by the area supervisor on a project basis.
Minimum Requirements: Animal Care and Regulations
* Demonstrated ability to manage a large experimental animal research facility.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Federal, state and local health and safety regulations for Vivaria and demonstrated skill at implementing same.
* Demonstrated knowledge of animal anatomy, care and grooming techniques.
* Demonstrated skill in performing para-veterinary procedures including anesthetizing, bleeding, administering medications and injections, and euthanizing animals.
* Demonstrated knowledge of record-keeping required by various agencies.
* Demonstrated ability to supervise and train new, inexperienced staff in proper animal handling techniques.
* Demonstrated ability to project space and supply needs in response to changing animal populations.
* Ability to work in an animal research environment which requires continuous contact with animals.
* Working knowledge of animal husbandry procedures sufficient to care for laboratory animals in an experimental environment.
* Knowledge of habits and appearance of laboratory animals sufficient to notice deviations from normal.
* Skill in handling a variety of animals in a variety of situations sufficient to prevent injury or distress to the animal or self.
* Knowledge of techniques and ability to collect samples for laboratory study.
* Knowledge of cleaning and sanitizing materials and techniques sufficient to maintain a healthy environment.
* Ability to euthanize rats and mice using CO2 chambers. Must be able to follow the procedures for euthanasia including the use of the CO2 chamber, as well as be able to ascertain that death has occurred. Knowledge of appropriate labeling and disposal of the animals euthanized, including hazardous animals.
* Knowledge of and the ability to apply the concept of contamination control practices. Including but not limited to engineering, administrative, and procedural controls for the containment of pathogens, including disinfection, and waste handling methods appropriate for work in hazardous containment facilities up to ABSL-2.
* Skill in accurate record keeping with strict attention to detail.
* Skill in organizing tasks, documents and materials with efficiency and accuracy.
* Experience using e-mail messaging and automated calendaring systems.
* Skill in creating spreadsheets and reports using Word, Excel, or other software applications.
* Skill in entering data into databases or spreadsheets.
* Experience in using web-based programs.
* Experience in performing purchasing functions following purchasing policies and guidelines.
Graduation from high school, completion of training equivalent to the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) certification of the AALAS, and two years of animal care experience; or high school graduation and three years of animal care experience in the care of animal species appropriate to the particular job; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Knowledge of the applicable UC policies and procedures governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position.
2. Experience in a supervisory role responsible for directing, disciplining, and complaint resolution.
3. Ability to interact well with superiors, other animal technicians, PIs, and students.
4. Ability to lift 50 lbs.
5. Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) certification
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview