Manager, External Relations & Protocol
8AM - 5PM
$48,800 - $72,500
The incumbent in this professional position manages effective working relationships with internal and external constituents of the School of Medicine, including key community organizations and representatives of government agencies through special event management and projects designed to expand public awareness and support of the School of Medicine. These activities strengthen fundraising efforts and build engagement and commitment to the mission of the School. The position is responsible for a variety of analytical and project-oriented initiatives that support the medical school's broad portfolio of external relations and that maximize the human and budgetary resources of the school's Strategic Initiatives unit. Scope includes enhancing the School of Medicine reputation, community engagement and development, public affairs, event management and protocol.
Skill in project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines.
Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with alumni, internal and key constituencies.
Thorough written, verbal and interpersonal communications, tact and political acumen to effectively represent the campus.
Thorough research, analytical and critical thinking skills, including sound judgment and decision-making skills and skill to correctly identifying real and potential problems, advising management as required, and proposing effective strategic resolutions.
Knowledge of protocol in advising leadership and oversight of event management to address cultural and diplomatic courtesies, prescribed guide for conduct or action in handling visitors and guests. Demonstrates political acumen and experience in working with people from diverse academic, cultural, and racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Ability to effectively prioritize, manage, and execute projected related activities and the ability to respond to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines.
Demonstrated ability to function in a team role with excellent judgment and decision-making skills in a complex organizational setting with a diverse constituency. Proven ability to quickly develop credibility with relevant constituencies.
Demonstrated trusted confidentiality working with staff, volunteers, and donors.
Advanced skill in project management, including event planning and special projects and the ability to take initiative and stay organized in a fast-paced environment.
Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
Thorough knowledge of the campus, its mission, goals, objectives, programs, achievements, infrastructure and issues of concern.
Demonstrated ability to develop trusting relationship with stakeholders from the campus and local community to effectively represent the School of Medicine.
Demonstrated extensive and progressive organizational skills in high-level project management and coordination, analysis in a medical school, medical center, hospital environment or similarly large organization.
Knowledge of effective internal and external communications strategies, including marketing.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview