VA Certifying Specialist
Position Number 000332
Position Classification Title Student Services Specialist
Functional Title VA Certifying Specialist
Position Type Staff
The University Registrar's Office performs the essential roles of supporting, facilitating, and promoting the academic missing of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro by connecting students to the faculty, curriculum, and classroom on a continuum of service from enrollment to graduation and beyond.
This position serves as a The Veterans Administration School Certifying Official. This position certifies and maintains the student enrollment of approximately 600 + military-affiliated students per term adhering to University policy and procedure and State and Federal laws in accordance with the GI Bill Education Benefits standards. This position not only provides excellent customer service to all military-affiliated students at UNCG, but also acts as a liaison for the University on VA and GI Bill Education matters.
The primary duties of this position include:
• Serve as the University's Subject Matter Expert on VA GI Bill Education and maintain a knowledge-base of all Federal and State laws and regulations as they relate to University policy and procedure ensuring that as a University, we are compliant with all laws and legislation. Furthermore, serve as a liaison for the University on VA and GI Bill Education matters.
• Responsible for all GI Bill processing, maintenance of records, and data management consistent with the Veterans Affairs and the North Carolina State Approving Agency annual audit requirements.
• Certify and maintain student enrollment per GI Bill Education Benefit standards, auditing degree requirements and reporting any changes in enrollment, registration, graduation, unsatisfactory academic progress, and student conduct to the VA within 30 days. In addition, the SCO is responsible for ensuring the Cashier's Office provides the calculation of tuition and fees so that the appropriate tuition and fees can be reported within the 30-day timeframe after Schedule Adjustment has ended.
• Other responsibilities as assigned, within the scope of duties normally assigned within the University Registrar's Office
BACHELOR'S DEGREE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
1. Master's degree
2. Registrar's Office Experience
3. Experience working with and advising Military-Affiliated student population
4. Experience with Banner Student, VA Once, and Degree Audits
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range $36,698 - $42,182
Org #-Department University Registrar's Office - 10204
Work Hours of Position 40
Job Family Information and Education
Band Student Services Specialist
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Managing Work Processes - Ability to communicate and work with employees to gain understanding of a commitment to set work standards, processes, and procedures; Ability to provide ongoing feedback to employees on performance expectations and identifies and suggests areas of improvement. Ability to create and facilitate learning opportunities that may include active participation, networking with colleagues in other organizations or attending in-house training on related systems operations. Ability to provide directional input on program services.
Decision Making - Knowledge and use of effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions. Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints, and anticipated consequences. Ability to analyze and synthesize relevant policies and legislation, and apply them across a variety of situations.
Program Management - Ability to identify and understand student service issues, client needs, and matters of a recurring nature to effectively address and resolve the issue. Initiate creative programming to engage student participation. Ability to collect, research, and analyze information for processing, monitoring, or measuring data. Ability to develop some internal processes and prioritizes workload. Ability to generate non-standard reports. May require ability to function as a team member of more than one student service program team or specific area of expertise. May require ability to assign and review the work of others. Ability to mentor and assist others in various areas of technical expertise. Ability to conduct training for groups and individuals.
Client/Customer Service - Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with client/customer in order to initiate, facilitate and complete work in assigned student service program area. Ability to independently interpret policy and procedure within delegated authority when responding to client/customer requests and non-standard issues. Ability to recognize how individual decisions impact other program areas and their goals. Ability to employ de-escalation techniques and conflict management strategies when appropriate. Ability to understand the role of clients in their work environment.
Information/Records and Administration - Ability to perform research, data collection, and analysis of information, and report writing. Ability to utilize, reconcile, and manipulate data from different internal and external software systems. Ability to apply an in-depth knowledge of program specialty or multiple program areas to improve existing programs or develop new programs.
Open Date 09/15/2017
Close Date 09/22/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 67
Number of Months per Year 12
- List of References
- Cover Letter
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu