Human Resources Specialist - Advanced
Position Number 002517
Position Classification Title Human Resources Specialist
Functional Title Human Resources Specialist - Advanced
Position Type Staff
The Department of Human Resources at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) serves students, faculty, staff, and other constituencies on the campus. We deliver proactive and innovative HR services and solutions through the attraction, retention, engagement and continual development of a talented and diverse workforce in order to focus on UNCG's core mission of student success. We strive to be an agile, trusted strategic partner to deliver the strategic talent and cultural framework to drive employee inspiration, student success, and talent solutions in order to become the leading employer of choice in higher education.
Human Resources is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider for the Human Resources Specialist - Advanced (EHRA Specialist) position.
The primary purpose of this position is to administer and provide oversight in the processing of EHRA Non-Faculty position and employee actions. This includes transactional processing of new hires, rate changes, terminations, etc.. Position is also responsible for EHRA Non-Faculty permanent EPAF's and transactions for hires, rehires, appointments/re-appointments.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Research problems that arise during the monthly payroll process and will consult with campus administrative and HR Liaison staff to resolve, using results to evaluate patterns causing the problems and make recommendations on process changes, if necessary.
- Strategically plan the monthly payroll transactions
- Meet before, during and after each monthly process to discuss and identify any problem areas. Plan and implement changes, if necessary, for future payrolls.
- Make decisions within policy guidelines. Stay abreast of state policies and any new policy changes.
- Develop training to facilitate to HR Liaisons on how to complete and submit accurate and timely paperwork and requests.
- Attend meetings to stay abreast of BANNER updates, changes and new process.
- Collaborate with ITS, Systems and Procedures, and other departments to develop reports.
- Develop solid collaborative relationships with all HR staff, University and community clients.
- Serves as the "problem solver" both within HR and the our clients.
- Enhances collaboration among individuals and groups on campus.
- Consult with HR Leadership on policies, procedures, reporting, and recommended changes or updates in process that are necessary and inefficient, providing solutions or recommendations.
- Provide Supervisor, Manger of HR Operations, with weekly updates on progress being made in review and implementation of new procedures and processes.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
- Master's Degree in related area
- Experience in Higher Education
- Ellucian BANNER HR Experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Gmail, Adobe, etc.
- Excellent analytical skills, customer service, communication, and work ethics.
- Ability to think critically, problem solve, and maintain a high standard of confidentiality.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Recruitment Range $43,933 - $48,815
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Human Resources Specialist
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Applied Knowledge - HR Program and Organization
Knowledge of policies, procedures, precedents and best practices affecting HR program area(s), demonstrated by the ability to analyze and explain policy, procedure, or process revisions, and implement HR initiatives such as workforce planning and talent management using the broader perspective of the client's business needs. May draft and recommend new procedures. Ability to identify, understand and provide possible resolutions for issues and problems that impact client services. Operational knowledge and the ability to articulate the purpose of the organization including its mission, services, clients and measures of business effectiveness in order to adapt HR processes, procedures and activities to meet client needs.
Listens to assure understanding of the issue and then persuasively conveys more involved, multiple-issue information to clients; adjusts communication style as needed. May develop materials to assist others in explaining or understanding similar issues. Delivers complex or adverse information; advises and consults with clients to ensure accuracy of the communication and understanding of the message. Places message in context with the organization's broader business perspective. Drafts internal policy and work processes.
Evaluates and recommends changes to data collection and data presentation methods in response to complex requests. Identifies trends in HR information management and analysis and discusses these with higher level staff. Develops and recommends new approaches to improve records and information management.
Analyzes and may develop information for monitoring and measuring work processes and program effectiveness and efficiency. Serves as program and process expert.
Open Date 09/15/2017
Close Date 09/26/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 68
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have a Masters degree in a related field?
- Do you have experience in higher education?
- Do you have experience using BannerHR?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu