Requisition Number STA - 201000000533
Job Title Accountant
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Accountant- Financial Aid & Scholarship .
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position will perform account reconciliations while following audit standards and generally accepted accounting principles. This position is also responsible for verifying proper distribution of funds according to Federal and State regulations and following UNT Dallas policies. Work is performed under general supervision by the Director, Grants and Reporting.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Book and match federal awards on a timely basis.
- Reconcile existing federal, state and institutional fund expenditures.
- Research and analyze data that will assist in applicable forecasting of fund expenditures for the upcoming award year.
- Assist the Director of Financial Aid with all reconciliations required by both internal and external parties.
- Assist the Director of Financial Aid with creation and management of SF Item Types .
- Assist with Scholarship and Financial Aid audits; both external and internal.
- Assist with policies to keep UNT Dallas current with U.S. Department of Education regulations.
- Perform the Return of Title IV Funds calculations.
- Assist on special projects and other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in accounting and two years of experience working with scholarship and financial aid reconciliations ; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of (or ability to rapidly assimilate and retain) University operating procedures, organization and policies.
- Considerable knowledge of U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding federal financial aid programs and required reconciliations.
- Thorough knowledge of business principles, practices and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of electronic information systems and accounting systems.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail consistently and to perform financial operations legibly.
- Ability to keep complex records; to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
- Ability to read and analyze fiscal management information and to assist in formulating solutions to problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships .
- Strong communications skills .
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Experience using PeopleSoft and Hyperion query and reporting
- Experience working in higher education and/or Texas state agency
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PhD (or terminal degree for your discipline)
- How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter