Human Resources Specialist - Journey
Position Number 999176
Position Classification Title Human Resources Specialist
Functional Title Human Resources Specialist - Journey
Position Type Staff
The Department of Human Resources is currently seeking qualified and motivated individuals for an Human Resources Specialist for HR Business Partners & Employee Relations (Human Resources Specialist-Journey).
The Department of Human Resources commits to the creation of an inclusive, collaborative, and responsive university by attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse community of talented individuals in support of the university's mission. The Department is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art employee services including talent management, professional development and organizational capacity, compensation, employee benefits, wellness and work/life balance, rewards and recognition, records management, employee relations, human resource information systems, and affirmative action and diversity, that promote innovation, creativity, and inclusion.
The Office of Employee Relations/HR Business Partners seeks to be a strategic partner with senior-level administrators across campus in developing and implementing creative and innovative HR solutions to the issues that challenge UNCG.
The Human Resources Specialist for HR Business Partners & Employee Relations supports the consultants as well as principal assistant to the director. The incumbent will work directly with the director and provide assistance to the disciplinary process (i.e. intake and logging of initial concerns). Incumbent will also provide a variety of technical, administrative and special project support for the office. This includes providing and maintaining data analysis, data collection, researching employee relations best practices within State Government, the UNC system, and/or external peers; assisting with modifying employee relations policies and procedures; maintaining the UNCG HR web site content related to performance management, employee and management relations; maintaining filing systems, utilizing Excel, Microsoft Access, Banner, and assisting in various investigative interviews/reports, and other special projects as needed.
This position reports to the Director of HR Business Partners and Employee Relations.
The key responsibilities include:
- Assist with communication, development, and interpretation of policies and policy changes.
- Aid Human Resources with development and implementation of best practices, including data-driven analytics from multiple
systems to support the HR Business Partner and Employee Relations strategy and continuously improve Human Resources
- Maintain employee records and exit interviews.
- Reviews all requests for dismissals and discontinuances for accuracy and completeness
- Assist with development of employee relations related training materials.
- Respond to employee violations of policy and help resolve conflict
- Assist in employee investigations, complaints and concerns
- Monitor professional development and performance improvement plans
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
BACHELOR'S DEGREE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
Bachelor's degree with at least 2 years of prior work experience in Human Resources is preferred.
Successful candidates will possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and experience in working with individuals at various levels in the organization. Proven ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities and greet customers and public with courtesy while assisting in addressing difficult issues. Must be able to represent the director in both telephone and face-to-face client contact.
• Knowledge of employee relations policies and procedures;
• Strong client service skills including ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships;
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Power Point);
• Very strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to organize assigned projects and stay on task;
• Ability to draft correspondence and reports.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Recruitment Range $42,468 - $45,000
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Human Resources Specialist
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
1. Applied Knowledge - HR Program and Organization
Knowledge of issues and best practices in human resource program procedures and methods and knowledge of the related business context, appropriate for the level of work and usually acquired on the job. Ability to apply both to specific situations. Demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement, to include the use of contemporary applicable technology (hardware, software, equipment and processes).
2. Customer Service
Develops and maintains productive collaborative work relationships with all clients (internal and
external who utilize services) by listening to the client, understanding and responding to apparent and underlying needs and continually seeking to provide the highest quality service to all.
3. Communication - Verbal/Written
Clearly conveys information (verbal and written) with and to individuals or groups to ensure information is shared and that messages are understood. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts. Gains credibility by fostering respect for all individuals and points of view.
4. Information/Records Administration
Applies knowledge of contemporary applicable data management systems as well as data collection and record filing systems to compile, assimilate, organize, store and retrieve electronic and printed information. Accesses, reviews, compiles and analyzes multiple sources of data and information to generate appropriate criteria for reports and presentations.
Open Date 09/15/2017
Close Date 09/26/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 66
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu