San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1700088
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
San Jose City College
$44,595 - $54,454 Annual Salary (Range 71: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 18 paid holidays.
The Groundskeeper II reports to the Facilities Manager at San Jose City College. This work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Perform a variety of skilled gardening and irrigation systems maintenance duties in the development and maintenance of landscaped areas; operates a wide variety of turf mowing, commercial trucks and other maintenance equipment; assignments may require technical or functional direction of a project or work crew or to provide training to less experienced grounds maintenance personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain ornamental and athletic field turf-grass areas by operating a wide variety of mowing equipment that includes commercial self-propelled rotary, triplex, tractor-drawn gang and hand mowers as well as power lawn edgers, weed-eaters and power turf sweepers.
- Maintain automatic sprinkler irrigation systems for turf-grass, shrubbery, groundcover and tree plantings; repair ¾” to 3” automatic irrigation valves of various manufacturers; repair various manufactured commercial sprinkler heads; troubleshoot controller and electric valve problems; and monitor irrigation pond water level, maintain filtering system and assist in valve maintenance. Repair main lines up to 8” in size.
- Prepare and maintain athletic facilities including soccer, football, hardball, softball, track and rugby fields; line various fields to league specifications. Operate power liner to mark and cut lines; renovate hybrid bermuda and sandbase fields; resod areas as use requires; remove and install goal posts; move field house, portable bleachers and backstops; schedule maintenance of turf (lining, watering, fertilization, mowing) around sports activities; and maintain tennis and basketball courts with power sweeper and blower.
- Maintain ornamental areas of campuses and District Offices operating a wide variety of power equipment including chainsaws, power edgers and hedge trimmers, weed eaters, sprayers, tote vehicles, tractor and loader, forklifts, turf sweepers and aerial lifts.
- Prune trees, shrubs and vines at proper season and with knowledge of correct procedures; edge groundcovers and renovate as needed; fertilize, apply pre-emergent herbicides, insecticides and fungicides to ornamental plantings under direction of employee with pesticide applicator certification; and use wide range of hand tools in performing maintenance of ornamental areas.
- Mix, load and apply insecticides, fungicides, herbicides and fertilizers to ornamental plants and turf-grass under direction of employee with pesticide applicator certification; calibrate spray equipment ranging in size from two hundred gallon power rigs to three gallon spray cans; calibrate fertilizer spreaders; and apply materials in a safe manner, at recommended rates.
- Apply bait for squirrels, rats and mice under trained guidance of employee with pesticide applicator certification; trap and eradicate gophers to provide safe athletic field playing surfaces; and apply chemicals to irrigation pond to control aquatic weeds.
- Perform landscape construction functions involved in renovation of old plantings and new landscape installations; operate tractor and various attachments including loader, scraper, airefier, rototiller, overseeder, flail mower and auger in accomplishing required tasks; plant and stake trees, plant shrubs, groundcover and vines; prepare planting areas by rototilling in soil amendments and fertilizers, hand or tractor grading; install drain lines, headerboards; install new irrigation systems or modify old systems; and operate trenchers, install mainlines, valves, lateral lines, sprinkler heads and control wires to irrigation controller.
- Perform a variety of tasks such as concrete work, blacktop repair, cyclone fence repair and assist Custodian and Maintenance staff as required.
- Participate in District training as requested.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Common plant, tree and turf pest and disease methods for their control and eradication;
- Safe work practices;
- Basic construction and repair methods; and
- Proper and effective use of landscape and maintenance tools, equipment and materials.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions specified in English;
- Perform skilled landscape maintenance work;
- Mix and apply herbicides, insecticides and pesticides safely and properly
- Pass a complete physical examination prior to permanent appointment; and
- Work effectively with others encountered in the course of work.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
2. One year of experience performing semi-skilled or skilled landscape maintenance work.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District’s hiring policy or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Lift up to 75 pounds unassisted.
2. Bend, stoop and perform tasks requiring physical agility and strength.
3. Work out of doors under adverse weather conditions and with no known allergic reaction to grasses, pollens, dust, fertilizers pesticides or insecticides; operate the full range of landscape maintenance equipment utilized by the district.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities