Executive Director of Communications (1763)
The Executive Director of Communications is responsible for the strategic oversight and management of Pratt Institute's institutional communications, and messaging. This position will be instrumental in driving the Institute forward as it prepares to welcome a new president and begins to develop the Institute's next strategic plan. He or she will represent the Institute by helping to increase its visibility locally, nationally, and internationally, with particular focus on supporting Pratt's mission, vision, and goals. This position oversees a team of 14 professionals who are responsible for the development and implementation of the Institute's brand, communications strategies, and public relations campaigns to attract and motivate alumni and donors, to recruit high-quality faculty and staff and to maintain strong relationships and collaborations between Pratt and the public. The successful candidate will serve as a strategic and innovative partner and provide expert consultation to the Institute's leadership, as Pratt strives to fulfill its mission.
- Work proactively and collaboratively with Pratt leadership to ensure a cohesive effort in achieving the Institute's long-range plans for strategic positioning.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate the communications functions at the Institute.
- Provide ambitious vision to department staff and coordinate strategies and tactics within the Institute's departments.
- Develop and execute integrated communications and branding strategy that raises the visibility of Pratt and is consistent with the Institute's strategic plan and mission.
- Serve as the Institute's brand manager with the responsibility of positioning the Institute in the market, by managing the overall direction, messaging, and look and feel of the Institute's website, print, and digital materials.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality for all staff.
- Communicate the Institute's position and policies on a variety of issues to specific media and to various Institute constituencies, which includes serving as Pratt's spokesperson with the media as appropriate.
- Ensure effective crisis communications.
- Supervise support staff with oversight of multiple annual operating budgets that fund the department.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Communicate important information to the campus community and other constituencies in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Lead a highly competent staff in writing, editing, photography, design and printing; ensure that consistency of message and standards of design are met in all official work of the Institute.
- Oversee the development of media relations materials with local, national, and international press; advise on media relations strategies, monitor media issues and developments, develop connections to raise institutional visibility.
- Direct the coordination of print, social media, and electronic communications, which includes web, video, blogs, and email communications.
- Perform all related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree and Master's degree in related field required.
- 12-15 years of experience in journalism, public relations, or communications.
- Higher education experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated success in an equivalent setting with significant management experience.
- Proven ability to foster a collegial and collaborative working environment for a diverse team of colleagues and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A proven track record of creative and visionary leadership in the development of communication plans in collaboration with multiple audiences and internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in public relations or communication whether in higher education or elsewhere.
- An energetic and enthusiastic leader with excellent communication and team-building skills, someone particularly able to persuade and explain, and to communicate in words and images in print, digital, and social media.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in online communication and social media.
- Evidence of strong writing, editing, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- A track record of being adept and creative with emerging technology and a strong eagerness to learn new skills.
- Reliable judgment, trusted discretion, strong interpersonal skills to relate to numerous and varied constituencies of the Institute.
- Experience with using online communication and social media tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with staff from diverse backgrounds, as well as demonstrate sensitivity to cross-cultural perspectives and experiences.
Please submit your cover letter, resume including salary history and requirements, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE