Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 46-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) seeks an Educational Technologist (State title: Instructional Support Associate) to support faculty, staff, and students in use of technology to enhance college-wide learning. The college serves adult learners across a variety of learning modes including online and blended learning, competency-based learning, and other innovative modalities.
This position supports and collaborates with faculty and staff, including instructional designers in the process of designing, delivering, and improving online instruction through the integration of pedagogically-sound models and educational and emerging technologies and tools, giving special attention to compliance with accessibility and universal design principles.
- Assess faculty development needs as related to educational technology and suggest individualized approaches
- Provide pedagogical consultation to faculty, staff, and students using technology for teaching and learning
- Support the strategic growth and advancement of all modalities, including online, blended, competency-based, and other innovative delivery modes
- Collaborate with instructional designers and faculty for the development and revision of online and blended courses
- In conjunction with ET team, develop outreach strategy to encourage faculty across the college to utilize educational technology in their teaching and mentoring
- Design and conduct presentations, workshops, discussions, and other meetings as appropriate in the areas of educational and emerging technologies; design and deliver workshops and training and pedagogically sound using of a variety of ITS-supported online tools and media services
- Serve as an ITS liaison to regional locations for college-wide initiatives on technology-focused education and learning development
- Work collaboratively with the Educational Technology (ET) team and other college staff to provide pedagogically sound college-wide development, training, technical support, written materials and web-based tutorials in support of use of educational technologies
- Collaborate with faculty to create technology-mediated learning experiences and to integrate a variety of ITS-supported technologies, including audio, video, web 2.0/3.0 tools, and re-useable learning objects within learning environments
- Participate in regular Educational and Emerging Technologies (EET) meetings, college-wide meetings and conferences, and planning initiatives
- Engage in college-wide strategic planning around the coordinated use of educational technologies and pedagogical support
- Master's degree (or Bachelors and current enrollment nearing completion of Master's degree)
- 1-3 years' experience working in education/higher education settings with significant experience in instructional/educational technology or instruction
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with Learning Management Systems
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Interest and willingness to explore new educational technology tools and uses of technology to support learning
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Master's degree in instructional/educational technology, education, or related field
- Advanced knowledge of learning theory, pedagogy/andragogy
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Knowledge of universal design and accessibility practices
- Experience with design and production of open educational resources (OER), multimedia, web, or video
- Understanding of the ITIL/ITSM framework and the various stages in the service lifecycle
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- This position requires regular travel between regional locations, occasional evening and weekend hours, and occasional day trips and overnight travel within New York State
This position is best suited to someone who prefers a fast-paced environment and seeks to actively develop new skills and grow in understanding of learning and technology. Applicants should have the ability to work closely with a diverse faculty, staff, and student populations.
Rank/Salary: $45,000+, depending on qualifications.
Applications Due by: October 15th, 2017
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security