Associate Dean / Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations, School of Medicine
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington (GW) School of Medical and Health Sciences (SMHS) was founded in 1824, is the 11th oldest medical school in the country, and was the first in the nation's capital. Since its establishment, the school has been at the forefront of medical education, and it has grown to include highly ranked programs in the health sciences and biomedical research. With dozens of top-tier residency programs, SMHS is a competitive and esteemed destination for medical school graduates across the country.
Students and residents learn within an innovative educational environment from world-renowned faculty members in state-of-the-art facilities. Outside of the classroom, students and residents enjoy unmatched opportunities to engage with nearby government, non-governmental, and non-profit organizations - many of these opportunities are due to the school's location in the nation's capital. SMHS graduates are well-trained, compassionate clinicians, scientists and leaders who are exceptionally prepared to participate in the decisions affecting the future of our nation's health care.
SMHS is searching for a full-time Associate Dean / Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations, School of Medicine and Health Sciences. This leader will dually report directly to the university's Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations and the Dean of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. The Associate Dean / Associate Vice President provides critical leadership and facilitates partnership between the GW University Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) and SMHS. Responsibilities include:
- Advancement of the academic, clinical and research missions of SMHS by serving on the senior leadership team of SMHS, managing the SMHS DAR team, and overseeing major and principal gift fundraising for priority programmatic areas pertaining to clinical care, research and education.
- Collaborate with One GW leaders to set strategic direction of SMHS development initiatives, lead the teams and front-line fundraisers in building the major and principal gift pipeline, develop creative prospect engagement strategies, enhance the grateful patient program, facilitate oversight of volunteers and development councils, partner with Development officers for annual gifts, planned gifts and corporate/foundation gifts, oversee fundraising events and collaborate with DAR leadership and staff to achieve overall university and SMHS goals.
- Identify and manage the School's priority prospects who are capable of making seven and eight figure philanthropic gifts to the SMHS.
- Serve as a member of the SMHS senior leadership team.
*Build, develop, mentor and lead development and alumni relations staff using best practices.
- Supervise directors, gift officers and other assigned staff.
- Serve as a member of the DAR leadership group and primary advancement liaison between the SMHS and the Office of the President.
- Collaborate with the SMHS Dean and other colleagues to support related advisory boards and councils.
- Perform other work related duties as assigned (The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position).
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 10 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree in a relevant area of study plus 8 years of relevant professional experience. Relevant experience must include at least 2 years of senior management level experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- experience working with senior leadership in a complex organization;
- proven success in academic medicine fundraising or a related field within healthcare;
- proven record of accomplishment in creatively building and leading successful fundraising programs and teams;
- deep appreciation and understanding of the higher education environment and biomedical
research with the ability to articulate these enterprises internally and externally;
- ability to travel extensively, nationally and internationally, and communicate effectively with successful individuals of high net worth, both within and beyond the university alumni
- experience developing and executing short- and long-range prospect strategies;
- experience supervising a professional staff; and
- outstanding oral and written communication skills.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Dev & Alumni Relations Sub-Family Major Gifts Stream Executive Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: TBD Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and rsum.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com
Additionally, please complete the online application at the George Washington University: https://www.gwu.jobsInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006668 Job Open Date: 09/14/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter