Tech Support Specialist III
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence.
Reporting to the Manager, IT Service Delivery, the Tech Support Specialist III supports the Division's Service & Contracts Management department. The Tech Support Specialist III:
- Performs as a Subject Matter Expert, Technical Lead and Functional Project Manager for major divisional and cross-divisional projects.
- Provides tier 3 support for endpoint support analysts on complex issues by providing subject matter expertise and guidance.
- Assumes role of system administrator for systems that fall under endpoint/CTSS (AirWatch, Aruba ClearPass, Cisco Prime, Cisco TMS, CIsco UCM, etc)
- Automate repeatable systems and processes, utilizes analysis tools to identify improvement opportunities, and authors staff level job-aids as needed
- Designs, implements and maintains networked hardware and software systems to include design, maintenance and provisioning of desktop applications and the development of standard software installation packages to support technology endpoints. Coordinates the installation of networked hardware and software to include performing user need-analysis, mapping, design, deployment and testing of new installations.
- Provides specialized support for VIP groups (Board of Trustees, Presidents Office, etc) This includes providing specialized onsite support services, such as supporting the Board of Trustees retreat. Also, responds to VIP support requests outside of business hours.
- Coaches and cross-trains new and junior staff members and student employees.
- Leads the planning and organization of training for users and team members relative to new technologies.
- Creates and distributes user manuals, staff training materials and GW- specific application user documentation in partnership with ITSC leadership.
- Evaluates and recommends new technologies that will better support user needs in partnership with ITSC leadership.
- Provides technical guidance and mentoring to team members through positive and constructive feedback, and sharing knowledge and solutions.
- Recommends equipment purchases based on analysis of clients requirements
- Initiates work based on experience and understanding of group and divisional goals - not primarily ticket driven.
- Negotiates with vendors and maintain vendor relationships (Dell and Apple, for example).
- Plans and organizes special projects and events that support users, supports endpoint devices in user locations, performs hardware/software support in administrative locations and other related activities in partnership with ITSC leadership.
- Analyzes data to determine trends, uncover problems, and determine root causes.
The ideal candidate possesses extensive tier 2 and three support experience with strong scripting and project management experience. The position is based at the Foggy Bottom Campus but will be required to travel to the Virginia Science and Technology Campus occasionally.
The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience providing tier 2 and tier 3 endpoint support in a professional environment, spearheading initiatives and coordinating projects with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in a coding or scripting language and/or writing macros/automation tools or staff level job aids to support endpoint security or service offerings at a cross-divisional level.
- Experience with system administration.
- Experience providing advanced hands-on Windows and Mac support, as well as enterprise level video teleconferencing equipment is preferred.
- Knowledge of endpoint security tools and strategies.
- Experience using device management tools such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, JAMF Casper and/or Airwatch MDM.
- Possesses high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to write clear written reports and technical documentation.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Tech Support/Service Delivery Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, (TBD) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006197 Job Open Date: 03/16/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter