Invertebrate Collections Manager
Who we are:
The mission of the University of Colorado Museum of Natural History is to contribute to the knowledge of the natural world and human history through research, teaching, and public education. We are a world-class natural history institution, nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains on the campus Colorado's flagship university in Boulder, Colorado. To learn more about the museum, please go to: University of Colorado Museum of Natural History.
Our Invertebrate Collection houses approximately 870,000 specimens of mollusks, and other non-insect marine, freshwater, and terrestrial invertebrates. Most holdings are from Colorado and the southern Rocky Mountain region, and enhanced by wider U.S. and international collections.
What your key responsibilities will be:
The University of Colorado Museum of Natural History invites applications for an Invertebrate Collections Manager position. We seek an individual with interests in non-insect invertebrates to guide the continued growth and management of the physical collections and associated resources including archives and paper records, databases, and genomic resources.
What we can offer:
The annual salary range for this position, at 85%, starts at, $39,000 annually and will depend upon relevant background and experience. In addition the University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement (with a 2-for-1 employer match), generous paid time off, tuition benefit and RTD ECO Bus Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What you should know:
This is an 85% appointment (34 hours/week) for the first two years, moving to 75% (30 hours/week) in the third year. The base salary will be adjusted accordingly.
Be professional. Be collaborative. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- M.S. degree in relevant field (Biology, Zoology, or Museum Studies)
- Bachelor's degree and at least three years' experience as a full-time zoology collection manager
- [NOTE: MS degree in progress will be sufficient; please provide expected completion date in prescreening question.]
What you will need:
- Knowledge on management of invertebrate zoological collections, including cataloging & accessioning specimens, processing loans, providing regulations & permits for zoology collections, and using electronic databases.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to interface professionally with the university, public, governmental & research communities
- Ability to manage projects, students, and volunteers.
What we'd like you to have:
- Proficiency with the taxonomy, nomenclature, preparation, and preservation of invertebrate specimens and their DNA.
- Experience in supervisory roles, fieldwork, grant writing, and/or bioinformatics.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 15, 2017
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200, extension 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials AS ONE DOCUMENT/PDF to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
Please name your document as follows: First-Last-Resume-CL-Position Number.
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10112 - Museum-Administration
Posting Date: Sep 14, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 15, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00641124