* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Position #00739012 - Requisition 11071
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SSPPS) is seeking a permanent, full-time (40 hours per week), University Staff (non-classified) Instructional Designer. This position will serve the entry-level program, the Distance Degrees and Programs office, which administers the North American-Trained PharmD (NTPD) and International-Trained PharmD (ITPD) Programs, and other schools on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus primarily for the purpose of designing online and/or face-to-face course content and educational assessments in both distance-based and on-campus courses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Educational Technology & Design Activities
Design online and/or face-to-face course content and educational assessments in both distance-based and on-campus courses, as applicable:
- Independently identify appropriate online and/or face-to-face pedagogies used in design of the course material (lesson and skills application material). This includes initiating projects to improve course quality and end user satisfaction.
- Independently, or when necessary, in conjunction with faculty members:
- Evaluate all course educational assessment (i.e., skills application assignments, exams) for proper design and alignment with program outcomes and/or course learning objectives;
- Analyze course and lesson assessment validity (i.e. exam analysis);
- Coordinate semester course assessment planning and review sessions, working with faculty members to identify areas of improvement from results.
- In collaboration with faculty members:
- Review and evaluate all course content for consistency and alignment with each school's curriculum.
- Confirm that all course content is up-to-date.
- Independently and evaluate coursework for appropriate contact hours, collaborating with faculty when necessary to assure content provided meets these parameters.
Independently, create and maintain the online environment:
- Maintain the online learning environment, assuring that all online coursework is functional and provided on a timely basis.
- Create and maintain the online course tools and materials, such as, but not limited to: course content, gradebook, discussion groups, and varying skills activities.
- Create and maintain the course and program assessment activities, assuring each assessment supports the appropriate school's assessment strategy (examples of this include coordinating CoursEval™ assessments, tying activities to learning outcomes, etc.).
- Communicate and collaborate and with CU Online, the provider of our online learning management system and educational technology tools, to assure an optimal learning environment.
Other educational technology activities:
- Independently explore, evaluate and implement emerging online technologies and methods, proactively applying these findings to meet the needs of and improve customer relationship management. This includes, but is not limited to, independently researching, implementing and evaluating educational design software, and project management/workflow software, etc., as it relates to faculty and/or student support.
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean, manage learning and customer technology budget for the Office of Education.
- Additional duties/projects as assigned.
Student Services Support
- Serve as the first point of contact for students and responding to educational technology-related concerns
- As needed, triage student concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and recommend revisions for student and program policies to the Associate Dean
Faculty / Staff Management and Development
- Develop and maintain relationships with all faculty members, orienting them to the current and any future online course management system(s), and providing general program support.
- Independently identify and coordinate coursework and timelines with all instructors and faculty.
- Evaluate instructor activity and recommend corresponding payment. Independently evaluate and assist with quality assurance of multi-step process.
- Develop and provide training programs to cultivate knowledge, skills and abilities in the faculty.
- Consult with faculty members on best online or face-to-face pedagogical methods to align with lesson, course and program needs.
Development and Growth of the Office of Education
Develop initiatives to support the strategic growth of the Office of Education
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the office
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the office and to identify areas for improvement
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary range for this position is $42,000 - $56,844 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in education, communications, information technology, information science or a closely related field;
- Experience with various instructional technologies and pedagogies, such as audio and video recordings, authoring software, teleconferencing, team-based learning, self-directed learning or a closely related substitute;
- Masters or professional degree from an accredited college or university degree in education, communications, information technology, information science or a closely related field. Or, comparable experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis;
- Experience in supporting faculty and students in a higher education setting;
- Administrative knowledge and hands-on experience with course management systems, such as Blackboard and Canvas;
- Experience with client relationship management and media-development software applications;
- Possess a highly professional demeanor;
- Ability to work with diverse student populations;
- Must be able to plan and execute duties, activities, and responsibilities with little or no supervision;
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Proven track record of meeting assigned goals;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn new technologies;
- Manage stress well and remain flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment;
- Work independently and interact effectively and cooperatively with team members;
- Participate and professional development and training activities.
- Strong leadership skills demonstrating ability to direct and influence colleagues of all levels;
- Energetic interest in learning new skills and technologies;
- Passion for helping others learn;
- Productive and quality-improvement oriented worker capable of independent decision making, and complex problem solving.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jay Rodenburg at Jay.Rodenburg@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 28, 2017
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20518 - SOP-Administration
Posting Date: Sep 14, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 28, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Jay Rodenburg
Posting Contact Email: Jay.Rodenburg@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00739012