Accountant - Grants, Contracts & Awards
Requisition Number STA - 201000000531
Job Title Accountant - Grants, Contracts & Awards
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Accountant - Grants, Contracts & Awards.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position is responsible for accurate billing, accounts receivable management and financial reporting for more complex awards to minimize financial risk to the University. This position must have a thorough knowledge of accepted accounting practices, legal statutes, policy and procedures affecting financial record keeping, a thorough knowledge of cost and audit accounting related to sponsored projects, ability to work accurately with numeric detail, to perform accounting operations legibly and the ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in clear concise form. Work is performed under general supervision by the Director, Grants & Reporting.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Process billing for awards in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and UNT Dallas policies to be reviewed by the Finance Director. Reviews new awards (audit check) to ensure accuracy of data entry and assists the Finance Director to ensure close-outs are processed timely .
- Reconcile Accounts Receivable accounts on a monthly basis to ensure that collections are current and sponsor payments are recorded to the general ledger accurately.
- Accurately prepare and submit a variety of interim and final financial reports as required by external sponsor under the direction of the Director, Grants & Reporting.
- Assist with audits; both external and internal.
- Assist with reconciling external gift funds.
- Assist with development of training covering a variety of research administration topics, and to develop tools and forms for enhancing work flow. Assist with delivery of training.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in accounting and two years of experience working with grants and contracts; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of (or ability to rapidly assimilate and retain) University operating procedures, organization and policies
- Considerable knowledge of electronic information systems and accounting systems
- Ability to work accurately with numerical detail consistently and to perform financial operations legibly
- Ability to keep complex records; to assemble and organize data of complex nature, and to prepare and submit reports in acceptable formats.
- Ability to read and analyze fiscal management information and to assist in formulating solutions to problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong communications skills.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Experience using PeopleSoft and Hyperion query and reporting
- Experience working in higher education and/or Texas state agency
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PhD (or terminal degree for your discipline)
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter