Position Number 3375
Position Classification Title Electronics Specialist
Functional Title Electronics Specialist
Position Type Staff
Facilities Operations has the responsibility of providing a wide range of services to all administrative departments, student programs, and all academic schools and departments. Services include all aspects of corrective and preventive maintenance, operations, grounds maintenance, housekeeping, utility infrastructure maintenance and operations, business operations, and safety and regulatory compliance. These duties are conducted for the entire University of North Carolina-Greensboro campus.
*Facilities Operations is currently seeking to hire a skilled Electronics Specialist (Controls Technician) to:
- Operate, maintain, repair, and upgrade as directed the campus building automation system (BAS),
- Other HVAC control equipment, and;
- Miscellaneous electronic systems.
This position also performs hardware and software preventive maintenance, repairs, and improvements. This position also assists with commissioning of building systems.
ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE IN ELECTRONICS; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
- Building Automation System/HVAC Controls programming experience;
- Three (3) to five (5) years of directly related experience.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Must have valid driver license.
This position is a mandatory position based on the Adverse Weather policy.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants have the option to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Resume (Optional)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Your application to the position will not be complete until you receive an online confirmation number at the end of the process of applying for a position.
Recruitment Range 40,451 - 51,145
Org #-Department Utility Operations - 56406
Work Hours of Position 8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M., Monday - Friday or As Required
Job Family Operations and Skilled Trades
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Knowledge and Technical (Journey)
Ability to perform a variety of recurring and non-recurring tasks/functions using a working knowledge of electronic principles and use of non-standard tools and specialized test equipment. Ability to modify standard circuitry to improve its performance or to perform special effects. Ability to troubleshoot non-standard electronic devices or devices for which documentation is incomplete or not available. Ability to represent the organization in modification and capital project engineering, design, and construction.
Problem Solving (Journey)
Ability to identify (and may require ability to resolve or make recommendations for) non-standard/more complex problems with electronic devices, electronic subsystems and systems through inspection and maintenance, or after system/equipment installation/failure. Ability to troubleshoot and evaluate options; ability to choose appropriate action by considering potential outcomes. Ability to operate specialized test equipment to troubleshoot and repair non-standard electronic devices and systems. Ability to research electronic literature to modify, build, or interface electronic devices.
Open Date 09/14/2017
Close Date 09/28/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 68
Number of Months per Year 12
- List of References
- Cover Letter
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * What controls programming experience do you have?
- Automated Logic
- Johnson Controls
- Niagara AX
- * Do you have hands-on work experience with HVAC-Building Automation System controls?
- Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu