Director, Grants & Reporting
Requisition Number STA - 201000000530
Job Title Director, Grants & Reporting
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Director, Grants & Reporting .
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
The position is responsible for direct management of financial reporting, financial policy, and financial planning for the Office of Finance and Administration. The position must have a thorough knowledge of accepted accounting practices, legal statutes, policy and procedures affecting financial record keeping for sponsored projects, financial aid and scholarships, and external gifts. Must have the ability to work accurately with numeric detail, to perform accounting operations legibly and the ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in clear concise form. Work is performed with great independence and discretion under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President for Finance & Administration. The position may supervise multiple full time and part time employees.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a subject matter expert in financial planning to include multi-year financial forecasting models.
- Direct management of accountant responsible for accurate billing for highly complex awards in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and UNT Dallas policies.
- Reviews complex new awards (audit check) to ensure accuracy of data entry and ensure close-outs are processed timely.
- Accurately prepare and submit a variety of complex interim and final financial reports as required by external sponsors.
- Reconcile Accounts Receivable accounts on a monthly basis to ensure that collections are current and sponsor payments are recorded to the general ledger accurately. Reviews and approves daily deposit journals.
- Gathers and organize data required by auditor/agency accurately and in a timely manner.
- Develops and delivers staff or campus training for various research administration topics, develops and implements tools and forms for enhancing work flow.
- Develops new and review current University financial policies and procedures.
- Establish processes and reports to support Financial Aid & Scholarship reconciliations.
- Direct management of accountant responsible for Financial Aid & Scholarship reconciliations, that include Department of Education and others.
- Build a service-focused relationship with the executive team at the UNT Dallas.
- Reconcile external gift funds and create both internal/external reports.
- Oversee general data reporting for UNT Dallas.
- Work with management to develop and report on performance measures.
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain effective and working relationship with others at all times.
- Communicate effectively, appropriately, and accurately in writing and verbally.
- Manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field and five years of closely related professional experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Extensive knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Extensive knowledge of Grant & Contract Accounting (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Extensive knowledge of Financial Aid and Scholarship reconciliation processes (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft, COGNOS and/or similar ERP, reporting and/or data warehousing software.
- Ability to plan and conceptualize and make sound business decisions
- Must exercise considerable independent and professional judgment in matters of significance
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
Master Degree in Accounting or Finance or MBA and seven years of experience in budgeting or finance and accounting.
- Experience working with The Higher Education Coordinating Board and the State Comptroller
- Knowledge of the State of Texas budget law and practices for higher education
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field?
- No Response
- * Do you have five years of closely related professional experience?
- Cover Letter