Library Security Officer (Temporary)
Job Title: Library Security Officer (Temporary)
Job ID: 24261
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8820, Range 1
Department: MLK Library Security
About the Position
*This is a full-time, temporary, benefited position ending on or before May 31, 2019. This is a long term temporary position, anticipated hours 4:00 pm - 1:00 am, Sunday through Thursday. Hours and work days may subject to change.*
The Library Security Unit is responsible for providing public safety services for the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library and the estimated 7,100 people who visit the 475,000 square foot facility daily.
The Library Security Officer reports to, and receives supervision from, the Library Security Manager. The Library Security Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the patrons, staff, collections, and facilities of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform foot patrol of the Library Building and Grounds
- Encourage compliance with library policy
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to alarms and other calls for service
- Write Police Reports
- Monitor building entrances/exits from a posted position
- Respond to alarms from theft detection devices
- Provide information to patrons coming to the library
- Create a professional atmosphere that both comforts patrons and deters criminal activity
- Monitor Library Security Control Room
- Monitor Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor Integrated Security System and Alarms
- Monitor Elevator Command Computer System
- Operate Radio Base Station for Security Officers and UPD
After appointment, Library Security Officers must successfully complete the appropriate training program designed by the University Police Department.
The Library Security Officer must have the ability to walk, stand, sit, see in appropriate color vision, hear in an appropriate range of sounds, balance, climb, twist, bend, and reach with hands and arms. Assignments will require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time, and may be indoors or outdoors. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment.
The work environment is a multi-story library building and the exterior walkways and access ways. Any indoor assignment may require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time. Employees may be exposed to weather conditions and outdoor temperatures. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment. Incumbents are assigned to shift work and rotated among various assignments.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24261.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.