Engineering Graduate Advisor
Job Title: Engineering Graduate Advisor
Job ID: 24258
Full/Part Time: Full - Time
Job Code: 3084, Range 1
Department: Engineering Dean’s Office/Graduate and Extended Studies
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Graduate and Extended Studies, the Engineering Graduate Advisor will serve as college-wide liaison for graduate engineering students, departments, graduate admissions and the GUP office. The Graduate Advisor will serve students as centralized source of information on academic, professional, and social programs and opportunities originating at the College of Engineering and University wide. The Graduate Advisor will also work with engineering departments to collect data and be a source of information on college and university policies affecting domestic and/or international graduate students.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborates with department chairs and academic deans, as appropriate, to facilitate effective student mentorship and advisement.
- Reviews, monitors, and maintains current departmental student communications, including appropriate website information to assure accuracy and compliance.
- Provides current information on non-academic matters, such as university-sponsored social and professional activities, to graduate engineering students.
- Contributes to the development of best advising practices for the College.
- Tracks graduate student success data (such as load, time to graduation, etc.), identifies and alerts departments with regards to potential programmatic bottlenecks.
- Advocates for a coordinated and uniform set of department-level policies related to graduate student academic progress.
- Provides guidance on academic and non-academic concerns to graduate engineering students.
- Advocates for and develops new graduate-student support programs and services.
- Provides information about campus resources available to graduate students to address their physical and mental health concerns, as well as integrity issues, including cheating and plagiarism.
- Works with Career Center to outreach and to promote on-and off-campus student success programs.
- Collaborates with local industry and community to create workforce pipeline and to narrow the gap between academic and professional skills sets of graduating students.
- Coordinates events to support outreach, recruitment and networking.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24258.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.