Financial Aid Advisor
Job Title: Financial Aid Advisor
Job ID: 24256
Full/Part Time: Full - Time
Job Code: 3082, Range 1
Department: Financial Aid and Scholarships
About the Position
Performs functions under the general supervision of the Associate Director for Counseling and Advising, the Financial Aid Advisor performs a variety of duties related to processing the financial aid eligibility determination for student financial aid applications, to maintain records and to assist students by providing information. Working independently, under general supervision, the Financial Aid Advisor is primarily responsible for the document verification and need analysis of financial aid documentation related to the financial aid application, and awarding process for all San Jose State University applicants.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs application review and needs analysis to determine documented financial need of students using the financial aid delivery system and the PeopleSoft needs Analysis Module.
- Reviews and verifies various documents that may be requested, including verification forms such as tax returns to complete the verification process.
- Counsels students regarding the need analysis process and the effect on the financial aid award.
- Reviews accuracy all documents submitted by the student to determine the student’s eligibility under the various federal and state regulations such as citizenship status, loan history, grant overpayment, social security number accuracy, and veterans benefits, as it relates to determining financial aid eligibility.
- Performs recalculation of students’ financial aid eligibility, as required by the confirmation or processing of professional judgment cases by the Financial Aid Counselor.
- Participates in on and off campus yield events providing information to prospective applicants.
- Assists students at the front counter by answering questions during drop-in hour and provides phone coverage for more complex calls that require transferring to an Advisor.Responsible for explaining to students and parents the various documents that may be requested for the application process, including verification forms, tax returns, etc.
- Attends conferences and seminars regarding financial aid eligibility criteria and processes.Makes on and off campus presentations and represents San Jose State University at informational fairs and forums.
- Serves as a member of the Counseling and Advisor Component reporting to the Assistant Director of Counseling. Participates in office, divisional, departmental and team meetings regarding changes in policy and process as it relates to the FASO.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24256.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.